Bench blossoming for Robert Morris women
College Football Videos
The Robert Morris women got two points from their bench players in the first half against Akron on Wednesday and 14 in the second. Coach Sal Buscaglia said he learned a little something from that.
"I have to trust the kids off the bench more," he said. "They certainly proved to me that I can trust them more, just with their effort."
The four players coming off the bench in the 85-78 win at Sewall Center played a combined 17 minutes in the first half. They played 25 in the second half and were led by freshman Catherine Matthews' eight points. Matthews had appeared in only two of 10 games to that point, posting six points in five minutes.
"If that's a sign, then that will really do wonders for our future," Buscaglia said.
The Colonials (8-3) will seek their first road win when they face Duquesne on Dec. 31 at Palumbo Center.
> > Pitt's Brianna Kiesel is second in minutes played in the Big East at 35.1 per game. She's the only freshman in the top 10.
> > The Panthers' win over Indiana in the Caribbean Classic on Tuesday was Agnus Berenato's 150th at Pitt. After Wednesday's victory against Michigan State, she is eight wins from becoming the program's all-time winningest coach.
> > The Duquesne women set a program record with their eighth straight win Tuesday.
West Virginia vs. No. 6 Baylor
When/where: 9 p.m. Friday/Orleans Arena, Las Vegas
On air: ESPN/WVAQ-FM (101.9), WBGG-AM (970), Mountaineer Sports Network
Records entering Thursday: West Virginia 8-2; Baylor 10-0
Series: First meeting
Of note: Entering Thursday, Baylor was one of six undefeated teams in Division I.
Players to watch
West Virginia: Deniz Kilicli, F, Jr. — Had scored in double figures in all 10 games entering yesterday.
Baylor: Perry Jones III, F, So. — Named Big 12 Player of the Week after career-best 28-point game Saturday at BYU.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cole outduels Mets rookie, carries Pirates to victory
- Lowly job likely awaits former Pittsburgh police chief after prison
- Hempfield pair caught in vehicle scam
- Pirates notebook: Stewart, Cole develop rapport
- Pirates’ McCutchen laughs off pay stub leak
- Steelers interested in playing internationally again
- Trooper fatally shoots burglary suspect inside Somerset Twp. grocery store
- Online donors help Hempfield teen whose wallet was stolen
- ‘Dope sick’ man in custody in Mt. Pleasant stick-up
- Feds want to seize cash, property from suspects in drug bust
- Shareholder vote causes ATI to review executive pay packages