Bench blossoming for Robert Morris women
College Football Videos
The Robert Morris women got two points from their bench players in the first half against Akron on Wednesday and 14 in the second. Coach Sal Buscaglia said he learned a little something from that.
"I have to trust the kids off the bench more," he said. "They certainly proved to me that I can trust them more, just with their effort."
The four players coming off the bench in the 85-78 win at Sewall Center played a combined 17 minutes in the first half. They played 25 in the second half and were led by freshman Catherine Matthews' eight points. Matthews had appeared in only two of 10 games to that point, posting six points in five minutes.
"If that's a sign, then that will really do wonders for our future," Buscaglia said.
The Colonials (8-3) will seek their first road win when they face Duquesne on Dec. 31 at Palumbo Center.
> > Pitt's Brianna Kiesel is second in minutes played in the Big East at 35.1 per game. She's the only freshman in the top 10.
> > The Panthers' win over Indiana in the Caribbean Classic on Tuesday was Agnus Berenato's 150th at Pitt. After Wednesday's victory against Michigan State, she is eight wins from becoming the program's all-time winningest coach.
> > The Duquesne women set a program record with their eighth straight win Tuesday.
West Virginia vs. No. 6 Baylor
When/where: 9 p.m. Friday/Orleans Arena, Las Vegas
On air: ESPN/WVAQ-FM (101.9), WBGG-AM (970), Mountaineer Sports Network
Records entering Thursday: West Virginia 8-2; Baylor 10-0
Series: First meeting
Of note: Entering Thursday, Baylor was one of six undefeated teams in Division I.
Players to watch
West Virginia: Deniz Kilicli, F, Jr. — Had scored in double figures in all 10 games entering yesterday.
Baylor: Perry Jones III, F, So. — Named Big 12 Player of the Week after career-best 28-point game Saturday at BYU.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Kessel addition, better health could have Pens scoring like it’s 1990s
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Steelers cut Scobee, sign free agent kicker Boswell
- Game Commission to direct hunters to deer
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card
- New book credits Nunn for Steelers’ 1970s success
- Diminishing number of pilots takes toll on small airports in Western Pa.
- More employers adopt generous leave policies
- Shaler man charged in death of girl, 6, not prosecuted in repeated alcohol cases
- Four downs: Williams brothers on the rise