Top recruit should ease transition at WVU
College Football Videos
Don't look at it as West Virginia losing forward Kevin Jones, a preseason All-Big East selection who leads the team in scoring and rebounding as a senior. Look at it as the Mountaineers gaining Elijah Macon.
When Jones' eligibility runs out at the end of this season, his void could be filled next year by Macon, a 6-foot-8 high-riser from Columbus, Ohio, who attends Huntington Prep in Huntington, W.Va. Macon, rated a four-star recruit by Rivals.com, selected West Virginia over Pitt, Maryland, Louisville, Connecticut and Cincinnati, among others. At Huntington Prep, he has teammates who signed to play at Missouri and South Florida.
He originally committed to West Virginia after attending coach Bob Huggins' camp in 2009, then reopened his recruiting because of academic problems before settling on the Mountaineers again. Since he is considered to have NBA potential, he'll be expected to contribute immediately.
Huggins, who doesn't normally have his pick of elite recruits, uses a system that's hard on freshmen. But Macon, who can block shots on one end while lighting up the scoreboard on the other, has the potential to make an impact right away.
Today's men's game
No. 12 Indiana at Penn State
Noon, Bryce Jordan Center
Big Ten Network
Records: Penn State 9-7, 1-2 Big Ten; Indiana 14-1, 2-1
Line: Indiana by 6 1⁄2
Series: Indiana leads, 28-9
Of note: Indiana is the first Big Ten team since 1952-53 to defeat the No. 1 and 2 teams in the same season.
Players to watch
Indiana: Christian Watford, Jr., F -- Leads the Big Ten in scoring at 20.3 points.
Penn State: Billy Oliver, Jr., F -- His seven 3-pointers against Purdue on Thursday were the second-most in school history.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mental health facility won’t take Franklin Regional stabbing suspect as patient
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- Steelers are vowing to fix the costly penalties, lack of self-discipline
- At least $100,000 in appliances stolen from new homes around Western Pa.
- McKeesport educator honored by nomination for Athena Award
- Gunfire plagues New Kensington
- Corbett: Downtown project will ‘make a huge difference’ in Pittsburgh
- Arnold man charged after 20-mile chase
- Healthy again, Penguins’ Dupuis eager for game action
- McKeesport crash sends motorcyclist to hospital
- McKeesport car chase suspects returned to jail