Connecticut may be barred from Big East Tournament
College Football Videos
• Big East presidents agreed on a policy that would bar Connecticut from next season's conference tournament because the Huskies haven't qualified academically for the 2013 NCAA Tournament. Spokesman John Paquette confirmed Friday that Big East presidents agreed to the concept during a meeting March 7 in New York. He said the policy would bar any team in any sport from a conference tournament or championship if they are ineligible for the NCAA postseason. UConn faces a ban from the 2013 NCAA Tournament because it has failed to meet the NCAA's academic standards from 2009-2011. The school is seeking a waiver from the ban, citing recent academic improvements.
• Arkansas freshman guard BJ Young is exploring whether to enter the NBA Draft. Razorbacks coach Mike Anderson said Young hasn't hired an agent. Young led the Razorbacks and all SEC freshmen this season by averaging 15.3 points.
• Purdue star Robbie Hummel won the Lowe's Senior CLASS Award, beating out nine other seniors, including Ohio State guard William Buford. The award is given to the player who demonstrates excellence in the community, on the court, in the classroom and whose character makes a positive impact on those around them. Pitt's Ashton Gibbs was one of the finalists. The award is voted on by Division I coaches, national media and fans.
• Nebraska paid the $350,000 new coach Tim Miles owed Colorado State for breaking his contract with the Rams. Miles had signed a three-year contract extension with the Rams last spring; Nebraska hired him last week. -- AP
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Trial aims to halt Type 1 diabetes
- Gorman: Barnstorming tour bigger than baseball
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- Ex-teammates say Kessel unfairly criticized
- Newest Penguin Kessel’s unique shot is what makes him so special
- Man critically wounded in East Liberty shooting
- Independence Day festivities scheduled
- Herman, Hosfelt win Woodruff Scholarship
- Russian winger Plotnikov could join Penguins in August
- Tiny black weevils booming in W.Pa.
- Airlines offer small conveniences to counter higher fees, less space