Connecticut may be barred from Big East Tournament
College Football Videos
• Big East presidents agreed on a policy that would bar Connecticut from next season's conference tournament because the Huskies haven't qualified academically for the 2013 NCAA Tournament. Spokesman John Paquette confirmed Friday that Big East presidents agreed to the concept during a meeting March 7 in New York. He said the policy would bar any team in any sport from a conference tournament or championship if they are ineligible for the NCAA postseason. UConn faces a ban from the 2013 NCAA Tournament because it has failed to meet the NCAA's academic standards from 2009-2011. The school is seeking a waiver from the ban, citing recent academic improvements.
• Arkansas freshman guard BJ Young is exploring whether to enter the NBA Draft. Razorbacks coach Mike Anderson said Young hasn't hired an agent. Young led the Razorbacks and all SEC freshmen this season by averaging 15.3 points.
• Purdue star Robbie Hummel won the Lowe's Senior CLASS Award, beating out nine other seniors, including Ohio State guard William Buford. The award is given to the player who demonstrates excellence in the community, on the court, in the classroom and whose character makes a positive impact on those around them. Pitt's Ashton Gibbs was one of the finalists. The award is voted on by Division I coaches, national media and fans.
• Nebraska paid the $350,000 new coach Tim Miles owed Colorado State for breaking his contract with the Rams. Miles had signed a three-year contract extension with the Rams last spring; Nebraska hired him last week. -- AP
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Agent: Polamalu undecided whether to play in 2015
- Overnight snowfall plagues public transportation, schools, commuters
- Penguins forwards struggle in loss to Avalanche
- Starkey: In defense of Mel Kiper Jr.
- Sestak kicks off U.S. Senate campaign — with a couple missteps
- 14 more arrested in connection with drug trafficking ring
- Ice jam wipes out McKeesport’s marina
- Springdale Twp. police car crashes into veterinary clinic
- Crosby, Malkin chase scoring title amid defense-minded league
- 11 Ligonier Township residents rescued by boat from floodwaters
- Educating is a passion, job, lifestyle for O’Hara woman