Apollo-Ridge football players suspended
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A "small group" of Apollo-Ridge football players have been disciplined for an incident involving cell phone cameras during training camp.
Apollo-Ridge Superintendent Margaret DiNinno confirmed the incident but declined to specify what the players did wrong.
When asked if the incident involved "sexting," or sending sexually explicit images through cell phones, DiNinno said: "As we know and define sexting, that is not what occurred here. It certainly does not warrant the extreme concern some people might feel relative to a typical sexting scenario."
DiNinno said the players will be suspended from participating in some football games but did not say how long the athletic suspension would last. She also would not say whether the students faced other disciplinary actions and cited student confidentially.
Apollo-Ridge, which finished 3-6 in the Class AA Allegheny Conference last season, will open the regular season at Class AAA Indiana at 7:30 p.m. on Friday.
Apollo-Ridge Athletic Director Ray Bartha said he probably would make a statement about the incident and disciplinary action within the next couple of days. He declined further comment.
Apollo-Ridge coach John Simon, who enters his third season at the helm, did not return phone calls.
DiNinno said she hopes the students will treat the incident as a learning experience.
"Sometimes, these things turn into learning opportunities," she said. "These are kids. We're hoping they learn from this, and it prevents something more serious from happening in the future."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Woman’s body found in Mars home
- Prime time not kind to Heinz Field
- Penguins veteran defenseman Scuderi’s game looking up
- Starkey: Hockey hypocrites, unite
- Steelers offense puts up gaudy numbers in season’s 1st half
- Police: 2 anti-violence organizers beat ex-roomie in Washington
- State police trooper seriously hurt when hit by vehicle in East Huntingdon
- Clairton police rounding up street-level drug dealers
- Movie studio owner building in McKees Rocks is $540K in red
- Profit falls at vitamin retailer GNC Holdings in third quarter
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger, offense must adjust with CB Smith out