Driscoll scholar-athlete nominees announced
There were a few big changes in the selection of the winners of the annual Judge John J. Driscoll Scholar-Athlete awards.
Driscoll decided to let the people who are closest to the athletes, the high school athletic directors of Westmoreland County, vote for the winners at the selection meeting Tuesday at the Hampton Inn near Greensburg.
The athletic directors selected from 38 students, two each from the 19 high schools in the county. They selected 12 finalists and then two winners, who will be announced at the 52nd Annual Westmoreland County Scholar-Athlete Awards banquet May 6 at Ferrante's Lakeview Lounge near Greensburg. The banquet is sponsored by Driscoll, the presiding juvenile court judge in the county.
"We felt it was time to have the vote and discussion by the athletic directors," Driscoll said. "They understand how important their roles are."
Driscoll said he continues to be amazed at the accomplishments, both academic and athletic, of the students nominated by their schools.
"These kids' resumes are impressive," Driscoll said. "I feel good with the selections."
The banquet will also honor the individual state champions from the past year, and will acknowledge the three state team champions.
Former Mt. Pleasant Athletic Director Ron Firment will be honored as the 2008 Mike Ferranti Memorial Award recipient.
The guest speaker of the event will be announced at a later date.
This year's group of nominees is:
• Belle Vernon: Donnie Tasser (wrestling) and Aimee Sue Radic (soccer).
• Burrell: Shane Welsh (wrestling, baseball and football) and Seth Napierkowski (football, basketball and baseball).
• Derry Area: Amanda Palenchar (track and field, volleyball and swimming and diving) and Matt D. Maloy (golf, basketball and baseball).
• Franklin Regional: Abigail Ondeck (soccer and lacrosse) and Tom Summers (basketball and golf).
• Greater Latrobe: Ryan Kissell (football) and Alexa Bryson (softball).
• Greensburg Central Catholic: Erica Keto (basketball and track and field) and Nico Cortese (golf and wrestling).
• Greensburg Salem: Samantha G. Bower (cross country and track and field) and Andre Shields (football and track and field).
• Hempfield: Kathryn Thompson (track and field) and C.J. Clegg (football and track and field).
• Jeannette: Adam Lock (football) and Nicole L. Linsenbigler (softball and basketball).
• Kiski Area: Joshua D. Vick (football and track and field) and Jesselyn Terrill (soccer).
• Laurel Valley: Megan Bennett (soccer, basketball and softball) and Grace Altimus (basketball, track and field and cross country).
• Ligonier Valley: Caleb Karasack (baseball) and Amy Pompelia (track and field, soccer, basketball and cross country).
• Monessen: Christina Chukwuedo (basketball) and Roger Brandemarte (football).
• Mt. Pleasant: Laura Tlumack (soccer) and Dane Michael Dombrosky (swimming).
• Norwin: Alison M. Mols (track and field) and Steven Removcik (football and basketball).
• Penn-Trafford: David Floyd (soccer) and Cara Lynn Colley (soccer and track and field).
• Southmoreland: Erik Frund (football, wrestling, and baseball) and Jamie Lynn Henry (basketball and track and field).
• Valley: Lucy M. Jackson (softball and soccer) and Galen Bakos (swimming).
• Yough: Jason Hegedus (baseball) and Ashton Klingensmith (soccer).