Pittsburgh Female Athlete of the Week
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Notable: Chelsey Haney scored a career-high five goals in Hopewell's 6-3 victory over Blackhawk on Monday. Haney also scored a goal in a 3-1 loss to Center on Sept. 7, and she had two goals in a 4-1 victory over Butler on Saturday.
"It was big," Haney said of the start to her season. "(The first few games) went good. I was getting good passes and a couple breakaways."
Haney, who scored Hopewell's lone goal in a 1-1 tie against Montour on Monday, has 11 goals on the season.
Have you selected a college yet?
I'm going to Youngstown State. I (verbally) committed two weeks ago.
What stood out about Youngstown State from the other schools you considered?
They offered me money (partial scholarship). I chose them over Maryland and Robert Morris.
Has the coaching staff given you any idea as to what your role will be as a freshman?
The coach said I will play outfield-mid to start and push up to forward. He said it looks like I could start, yeah, and I can work my way up to the top.
Who has been your biggest role model?
My parents, because they took me to all my tournaments to make me reach where I'm at. I was on a Cup team so they had to take me to all my tournaments and practices.
What is one thing people may not know about me?
I used to be a cheerleader.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin mum on Bryant suspension
- Pitt star running back Conner remains grounded despite success
- Big plays cost Steelers defense in preseason loss at Bills
- Patience serves as virtue amid pitching prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- QB Vick hits ground running in debut
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- Rossi: Beleaguered Steelers need MVP from Big Ben
- College football preview: ACC
- Architecture: Pittsburgh history in 10 houses
- Butler organization seeks answers for unexplained phenomena