Greensburg Central Catholic's swimming standout Marko headed to Missouri
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Greensburg Central Catholic senior swimmer Andrea Marko has signed a letter of intent to compete next season at Missouri. She is the second WPIAL swimmer who plans to enroll at Missouri, joining North Allegheny senior Mark Waugh . "I originally thought I was going to the Naval Academy, but when I went down there (to Missouri), they gave me everything I wanted and it was the right fit," Marko said. Marko won her first WPIAL Class AA title in the 100 backstroke as a freshman in 2007. The following year she won golds in the 100 backstroke and 100 butterfly, then broke the state record in the 100 butterfly with a time of 54.92 seconds. Last season, she won her fourth WPIAL title with a victory in the 100 fly in 56.42.
• Mt. Lebanon's Rad Gunzenhauser finished fifth and North Allegheny's Ryan Gil eighth in the Foot Locker Cross Country Championships Northeast Regional in Kings Park, N.Y., qualifying for the national championship Dec. 12 in San Diego. Gunzenhauser was timed in 16 minutes, 5 seconds over the 5,000-meter course last Saturday and Gil finished in 16:10.
• Sto-Rox quarterback Paul Jones , Penn Hills cornerback Cullen Christian, Canon-McMillan linebacker Mike Hull and Mt. Lebanon band member Daniel Cohen have been chosen to participate in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Jan. 9 at the Alamodome in San Antonio. Official invitations will be issued this week at the high schools.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 2 dead, including student gunman, after Wash. school shooting
- Pirates to end spring in Philadelphia again, sign Stinson to minor league deal
- Wilkinsburg couple arrested after baby girl dies following beating
- Ferrante trial: Cyanide order form in plain sight
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins
- PennDOT warns of delays next week on Butler Street near Highland Park Bridge
- State’s ‘public-private’ transportation deal will replace 53 bridges in Allegheny County
- Authorities: Remains belong to missing Va. student
- Howard Hanna family donates $1M for business student scholarships at University of Pittsburgh
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Arrest made in connection with Rostraver home invasion