Greensburg Central Catholic's swimming standout Marko headed to Missouri
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Greensburg Central Catholic senior swimmer Andrea Marko has signed a letter of intent to compete next season at Missouri. She is the second WPIAL swimmer who plans to enroll at Missouri, joining North Allegheny senior Mark Waugh . "I originally thought I was going to the Naval Academy, but when I went down there (to Missouri), they gave me everything I wanted and it was the right fit," Marko said. Marko won her first WPIAL Class AA title in the 100 backstroke as a freshman in 2007. The following year she won golds in the 100 backstroke and 100 butterfly, then broke the state record in the 100 butterfly with a time of 54.92 seconds. Last season, she won her fourth WPIAL title with a victory in the 100 fly in 56.42.
• Mt. Lebanon's Rad Gunzenhauser finished fifth and North Allegheny's Ryan Gil eighth in the Foot Locker Cross Country Championships Northeast Regional in Kings Park, N.Y., qualifying for the national championship Dec. 12 in San Diego. Gunzenhauser was timed in 16 minutes, 5 seconds over the 5,000-meter course last Saturday and Gil finished in 16:10.
• Sto-Rox quarterback Paul Jones , Penn Hills cornerback Cullen Christian, Canon-McMillan linebacker Mike Hull and Mt. Lebanon band member Daniel Cohen have been chosen to participate in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Jan. 9 at the Alamodome in San Antonio. Official invitations will be issued this week at the high schools.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- Gorman: Perry makes the right call on canceling playoff game
- Steelers players are ready for annual runway turn for charity
- Former Penn State assistant coach Johnson just visiting this time
- HS highlight reel: Quite a weekend for Penn-Traffod’s Aunkst
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal
- Freeport volleyball team fights another foe — complacency
- Coping with Kids: New pacifiers helps soothe babies day and night
- NFL notebook: Harvin ‘happy’ to be with Jets
- Statewide hunters numbers following that of pheasants
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights