Greensburg Central Catholic's swimming standout Marko headed to Missouri
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Greensburg Central Catholic senior swimmer Andrea Marko has signed a letter of intent to compete next season at Missouri. She is the second WPIAL swimmer who plans to enroll at Missouri, joining North Allegheny senior Mark Waugh . "I originally thought I was going to the Naval Academy, but when I went down there (to Missouri), they gave me everything I wanted and it was the right fit," Marko said. Marko won her first WPIAL Class AA title in the 100 backstroke as a freshman in 2007. The following year she won golds in the 100 backstroke and 100 butterfly, then broke the state record in the 100 butterfly with a time of 54.92 seconds. Last season, she won her fourth WPIAL title with a victory in the 100 fly in 56.42.
• Mt. Lebanon's Rad Gunzenhauser finished fifth and North Allegheny's Ryan Gil eighth in the Foot Locker Cross Country Championships Northeast Regional in Kings Park, N.Y., qualifying for the national championship Dec. 12 in San Diego. Gunzenhauser was timed in 16 minutes, 5 seconds over the 5,000-meter course last Saturday and Gil finished in 16:10.
• Sto-Rox quarterback Paul Jones , Penn Hills cornerback Cullen Christian, Canon-McMillan linebacker Mike Hull and Mt. Lebanon band member Daniel Cohen have been chosen to participate in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Jan. 9 at the Alamodome in San Antonio. Official invitations will be issued this week at the high schools.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Bumgarner quiets Blackout crowd with 4-hit shutout
- Mt. Pleasant area man dies following police chase
- West Virginia man dies from injuries sustained in chemical explosion
- Familiar format focuses on journey to Yesteryear visit
- Dumpster-diner’s point on food waste valid but not a solution
- Giants’ Crawford makes history with slam
- Former Steelers doctor loses bid for Miranda protection
- Roundup: Pittsburgh Corning plan confirmed; II-VI reorganizes segments; more
- Pirates notebook: Nutting says team may ‘stretch’ for Martin
- Canadian company wins bid for casino