Mt. Lebanon hands Shaler first defeat
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Geena Badolato pitched a complete game, allowing one run and striking out 10, to lead Mt. Lebanon (2-2) to a 5-1 victory Monday over No. 1 Shaler (5-1) in a nonsection game matching the top teams in the Tribune-Review Class AAAA softball rankings.
Jen Bahm, Kaitlin Klinchock and Kathleen Mathison each doubled for the Blue Devils. Julz Tindall added a triple for Mt. Lebanon. The game marked the first time Shaler allowed more than one run.
• North Allegheny 12, Bethel Park 3 -- Kelsey Birsic and Hannah Jones each went 3 for 3 to lead Class AAAA No. 3 North Allegheny (3-0) over Bethel Park (0-3) in nonsection action. Birsic drove in three runs, and Jones added 5 RBI.
• Norwin 24, Woodland Hills 4 -- Nikki Sich hit a home run, double and single to lead Norwin (2-2) to a nonsection victory over Woodland Hills (0-1). Winning pitcher Katie Miller and Kayleigh Dodd each had three hits, including a triple by Dodd.
• Waynesburg 9, Belle Vernon 4 -- Rebecca Simpson had a triple and two RBI, and Lindsey Minor had two singles and two RBI to lead Waynesburg (1-2) to a nonsection victory over Belle Vernon (2-3). Waynesburg trailed, 2-0, after four innings and scored six in the fifth and three in the seventh.
• Serra Catholic 10, Springdale 0 -- Winning pitcher Chelsea Griffiths struck out seven and improved her record to 2-1 in a nonsection game. Lauren Smith, Katie Spisak and Griffiths doubled for Serra Catholic. Griffiths also singled twice.
• Hempfield 7, Canon-McMillan 3 -- Ryan Bills hit a two-run triple as part of a three-run fifth inning that helped Hempfield (2-1) defeat visiting Canon-McMillan on Monday, 7-3, in a nonsection game.
Hempfield freshman starting pitcher Zack Martinelli got a no-decision, despite a strong outing. In his four innings, he allowed two runs, four hits and two walks, and struck out three.
Sophomore Jared Hensler picked up the victory with two shutout innings of solid relief. He surrendered one hit, walked one and struck out two.
In the fifth, Tim Norris singled and scored on Cory Terek's RBI double. After a walk, Bills hit a two-run triple to left-center to give the Spartans a 5-2 lead.
Hempfield will play today at North Allegheny, the No. 1 team in the Tribune-Review Class AAAA rankings, before it opens Section 2 play Wednesday against Connellsville.
• Mt. Lebanon 13, Butler 6 -- Winning pitcher John Bruni hit a three-run homer, and Jack Faett added a two-run shot to lead Mt. Lebanon (2-3) to a nonsection victory over Butler (4-1).
• Elizabeth Forward 13, McKeesport 2 -- Winning pitcher Tony Totedo struck out eight to help Elizabeth Forward improve to 5-1. Elizabeth Forward had a total of 12 hits, including doubles by Ryan Meier (two), Buddy Wilson, John Kutzfara and Totedo. Cole Quattrone added three singles.
• Hopewell 7, Blackhawk 4 -- Hopewell's Scott Dierdorf hit a three-run homer in the top of the seventh inning to help Class AAA No. 4 Hopewell (6-0) defeat No. 3 Blackhawk (3-2) in a nonsection game. Matt Rubino added a home run for Hopewell. Mike Rittelmann was 3 for 3, including a double, for Hopewell.
• Serra Catholic 10, Greensburg Central Catholic 0 (6 inn.) -- Chris Miller hit a two-run home run, and Jesse Campbell added a solo shot to support the complete game effort of winning pitcher Oliver Girman in a nonsection game. Avery Sandor also hit a double for Serra Catholic (3-1), the No. 1 team in the Class A rankings.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New Steeler Boykin clarifies remarks about former coach
- Zimbabwe alleges Murrysville doctor illegally killed lion
- Bucs’ starter Burnett says ‘surgery is not an option’
- Former Lincoln Park star Rowan chooses N.C. State
- After early criticism, Haley has Steelers offense poised to be even better
- Steelers swap draft pick for Eagles cornerback
- EPA diktats: Pushing back
- Rossi: Looking at the next great Steeler
- Penguins not alone in top-heavy approach to salary cap
- Ability to clog the trenches crucial to Steelers defense
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions