Burrell finds its girls hoops coach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Meghan Ziemianski, who guided Highlands' girls basketball team to four consecutive trips to the WPIAL Class AAA playoffs, was hired Tuesday as coach of the Class AA Burrell girls squad.
Ziemianski, a Burrell graduate, stepped down as coach at Highlands after the 2010-11 season.
She was approved by an 8-0 vote and received a one-year contract for $5,024 from Burrell last night.
Last season, Ziemianski coached Highlands to records of 5-15 overall and 2-8 in Section 1-AAA. The Golden Rams finished in a three-way tie for fourth place and barely kept alive their streak of four consecutive trips to the postseason.
Before Ziemianski's first season at Highlands, the Golden Rams' previous trip to the playoffs was in 1975.
Last season, Burrell ended up 7-15 overall and 6-8 in Section 1-AA and missed the playoffs for the second consecutive year. Ziemianski takes over for Brian Sharick, who left after three seasons.
Meghan's father, Mark, coached the Burrell girls and boys varsity teams at various times in the past.
One day before Ziemianski was hired at Burrell, the Golden Rams replaced her with Ron Lang, who's a school board member at Highlands. Lang was approved as a volunteer coach and won't be paid.
Neither Ziemianski or Lang could be reached for comment.
In other coach news, Burrell hired Michael Larko as girls volleyball coach, pending the usual clearances. He will receive a one-year, $2,191 contract.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Officer treated after patrol car hit in Beechview
- Ex-Baldwin, Pitt star Pinkston not giving up on NFL dream
- Motorcyclist killed after striking pole in Penn Township
- John Nash, wife, ‘A Beautiful Mind’ inspiration, die in N.J. taxi crash
- Former pitcher Allie happily adjusting to outfield
- Rossi: Days off are when Pirates’ starters begin winning formula
- Man shot while driving through Liberty Tunnel
- Pa. gaming industry’s growth amplifies siren call for addicts
- Book details secret to Pirates’ turnaround
- Pirates chase Mets’ Harvey early in rout
- Unquestionable courage & sacrifice