Best of the best could clash at WCCA
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Westmoreland County Coaches' Association wrestling tournament just got a lot more interesting.
The 125-pound final could pit returning county, WPIAL and two-time PIAA champions: Derry Area junior Jimmy Gulibon and Franklin Regional senior Nico Megaludis. Both are ranked No. 1 in the country — Gulibon at 119 pounds, Megaludis at 125 — by The Open Mat website.
The tournament begins at 5 p.m. today at Franklin Regional High School. The finals are set for 7 p.m. Saturday.
Gulibon, who won the Ironman and Powerade tournaments at 119 and will compete at that weight in individual tournaments next month, chose not to fight weight for a few weeks until he gets the 2-pound weight allowance later this month.
"I told Jimmy if he wanted to go up, give Nico the heads-up," Derry Area coach Mike Weinell said. "I told him he could probably win at 125 and 130 — it didn't matter."
Gulibon (13-0 this season, 88-2 career) has won two county and two WPIAL titles. Megaludis (22-0, 141-1) has won 107 consecutive matches and three county and WPIAL titles.
"The two practiced against each other on Saturday," Franklin Regional coach Eric Mausser said. "Nico found out Monday that Jimmy was coming up. Nico welcomes the challenge. He feels he has nothing to lose; he already is going to Penn State. If they make it to the finals, it's going to be a great battle."
The wrestling committee decided to make the bout the final match of the tournament.
The 135-pound weight class has four outstanding wrestlers: Mike DePalma of Jeannette, Heath Coles of Norwin, Ty Lydic of Latrobe and Jeremy Landowski of Burrell. The 112-pound class is loaded, too, with Mt. Pleasant senior Nick Hough, Burrell freshman Zack Kelly, Franklin Regional sophomore Conner Medlang, Latrobe senior Chace Small and Penn-Trafford junior Willie Bohince.
The returning champions are Gulibon (112), Megaludis (119), Burrell senior Dave Makara (125), Lydic (130), Derry Area senior Travis Shaffer (135), Kiski School senior Evan Henderson (140), Kiski Area senior Matt McCutcheon (171) and Burrell senior Brian Beattie (215).Additional Information:
WCCA wrestling tournament
• When: Today and Saturday
• Where: Franklin Regional High School, Murrysville
• Times: First round, 5 p.m. today; semifinals, noon Saturday; consolation finals and finals, 5:30 p.m. Saturday
• Tickets: First round and semifinals, $4 students and $5 adults; consolation finals and finals, $5 students and $6 adults
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- Steelers are vowing to fix the costly penalties, lack of self-discipline
- Mental health facility won’t take Franklin Regional stabbing suspect as patient
- Body found in Allegheny River near Clemente Bridge
- Crafton men attacked in their home
- Prosecutors float possibility of jail time for former Justice Melvin
- Fundraising under way for Indiana County newborn struck by stray bullet
- Somerset County man arrested after loaded gun found at Baltimore airport
- At least $100,000 in appliances stolen from new homes around Western Pa.
- Gunfire plagues New Kensington
- Baldwin boys soccer team bolstered by strong international influence