Best of the best could clash at WCCA
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Westmoreland County Coaches' Association wrestling tournament just got a lot more interesting.
The 125-pound final could pit returning county, WPIAL and two-time PIAA champions: Derry Area junior Jimmy Gulibon and Franklin Regional senior Nico Megaludis. Both are ranked No. 1 in the country — Gulibon at 119 pounds, Megaludis at 125 — by The Open Mat website.
The tournament begins at 5 p.m. today at Franklin Regional High School. The finals are set for 7 p.m. Saturday.
Gulibon, who won the Ironman and Powerade tournaments at 119 and will compete at that weight in individual tournaments next month, chose not to fight weight for a few weeks until he gets the 2-pound weight allowance later this month.
"I told Jimmy if he wanted to go up, give Nico the heads-up," Derry Area coach Mike Weinell said. "I told him he could probably win at 125 and 130 — it didn't matter."
Gulibon (13-0 this season, 88-2 career) has won two county and two WPIAL titles. Megaludis (22-0, 141-1) has won 107 consecutive matches and three county and WPIAL titles.
"The two practiced against each other on Saturday," Franklin Regional coach Eric Mausser said. "Nico found out Monday that Jimmy was coming up. Nico welcomes the challenge. He feels he has nothing to lose; he already is going to Penn State. If they make it to the finals, it's going to be a great battle."
The wrestling committee decided to make the bout the final match of the tournament.
The 135-pound weight class has four outstanding wrestlers: Mike DePalma of Jeannette, Heath Coles of Norwin, Ty Lydic of Latrobe and Jeremy Landowski of Burrell. The 112-pound class is loaded, too, with Mt. Pleasant senior Nick Hough, Burrell freshman Zack Kelly, Franklin Regional sophomore Conner Medlang, Latrobe senior Chace Small and Penn-Trafford junior Willie Bohince.
The returning champions are Gulibon (112), Megaludis (119), Burrell senior Dave Makara (125), Lydic (130), Derry Area senior Travis Shaffer (135), Kiski School senior Evan Henderson (140), Kiski Area senior Matt McCutcheon (171) and Burrell senior Brian Beattie (215).Additional Information:
WCCA wrestling tournament
• When: Today and Saturday
• Where: Franklin Regional High School, Murrysville
• Times: First round, 5 p.m. today; semifinals, noon Saturday; consolation finals and finals, 5:30 p.m. Saturday
• Tickets: First round and semifinals, $4 students and $5 adults; consolation finals and finals, $5 students and $6 adults
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Flashback Friday for Pitt
- Body found in Allegheny River in Harrison
- Pitt falls flat in finale loss to Miami
- Police: 4 officers injured in Colorado Springs shooting
- In Uganda, Pope Francis pays tribute to nation’s martyrs
- Man dies in ATV crash in Beaver County
- Absenteeism high on first day back after Peters Township teacher strike
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- Steelers plan to use smart pass rush against Seattle QB Wilson
- Suicide bomber targets crowd of Shiites in Nigeria
- 5 injured in Route 51 crash in Rostraver