Notebook: Referee announces his presence
Ron MacLean, host of CBC's Hockey Night in Canada, skated as a referee during the second period of last night's Penguins game. MacLean, who shares the TV booth with oustpoken analyst Don Cherry, is a certified referee in the Canadian Hockey Association and has attended the NHL officials' training camp. MacLean's presence on the ice was a huge story in Canada -- one Penguins official likened it to Bob Costas working as a referee during a Steelers game.
- Coach Michel Therrien said defenseman Eric Cairns will miss at least the first month of the season. Cains re-injured his knee Tuesday during a training session at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, N.Y.
- Goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury was scratched last night, but will start tonight's preseason finale against Buffalo. Fleury's goals-against average is an alarming 4.39. "It's been ... not exactly the way I wanted," Fleury said with a sigh. A decision will be made after tomorrow's game whether to demote Fleury, the first overall pick in 2003, to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
- Therrien said there still is no timetable for Evgeni Malkin's return. Malkin, recovering from a dislocated shoulder, is working out under the supervision of team trainers.
20 - Total preseason games between the Penguins and Buffalo Sabres since 1970.
15 - Number of those games that have been played at neutral sites.
3 - Number of those games that have been played in Pittsburgh.
- Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Stat dropoff, road struggles have Penguins seeking consistency
- For Penguins coach Johnston, it’s a matter of substance over style
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Penguins notebook: Crosby understands NHL’s reasoning for ban
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in win at Verizon Center
- Penguins notebook: Johnston pleased with Downie’s all-around play
- Penguins get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- Penguins’ Fleury surrenders 7 goals in 1 period of NHL All-Star Game loss