Notebook: Orpik expected to miss 3-4 weeks
Defenseman Brooks Orpik has a broken hand, will have surgery and is expected to miss 3-4 weeks.
"He went for a bone scan, and he has a slight fracture so the medical staff said it would be better to take care of it early in the season than wait and it could probably get worse," coach Michel Therrien said.
Therrien said it was unclear exactly when Orpik injured the hand, but that it happened during training camp. With Eric Cairns out with a knee injury, that leaves the Penguins with only six healthy defensemen, but Therrien said yesterday that they weren't planning to call anyone up from Wilkes-Barre.
• Goaltender Dany Sabourin was claimed off waivers from the Penguins yesterday by the Vancouver Canucks.
"It's not (a shock); we pretty much expected it," general manager Ray Shero said.
That leaves the Penguins with only Andy Penner in the system, but Shero said yesterday that they won't start shopping for another goaltender.
"Not now," Shero said. "Right now we have Andy Penner in the minors, and he's off to a real good start down there, and he's a young guy. It's no different from some teams who have basically one guy in the minors. We're OK."
Penner, who would have gone to Wheeling of the East Coast Hockey League had Sabourin cleared waivers and gone to Wilkes-Barre, will now be sharing the AHL duties with Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers, an Edmonton Oilers prospect.
• The Penguins are 15-17-6 overall in season openers and 19-12-7 in home openers. The last time they opened the season at home was Oct. 10, 2003, when they lost, 3-0, to the Los Angeles Kings.
14 - Points for Sidney Crosby in eight games against the Flyers last year.
- Karen Price
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Newest Penguin Kessel’s unique shot is what makes him so special
- Ex-teammates say Kessel unfairly criticized
- Russian winger Plotnikov could join Penguins in August
- Penguins’ Kessel ‘thrilled’ with chance to play with Crosby, Malkin
- Hurricanes owner rips Rutherford, Penguins
- Pouliot seeks to improve fitness with grueling workout regimen
- Penguins sign defensive prospect
- Examining the draft trends of the last 3 Penguins GMs
- Defenseman Martin’s agent planning meeting with Penguins at draft
- Penguins notebook: Rutherford proves savvy in deal
- Penguins take winger Sprong in 2nd round, add 3 more forwards in NHL Draft