Pens' Eaton out indefinitely
ANAHEIM -- Penguins defenseman Mark Eaton will undergo surgery on his left wrist and will be out of the lineup indefinitely, the team announced Monday.
Eaton was injured in the first minute of Saturday's game against the San Jose Sharks after he was boarded by forward Jonathan Cheechoo. Cheechoo was ejected from the game.
Eaton returned to Pittsburgh on Sunday to be examined by team doctors, who said today that surgery would be necessary.
He is the team leader in blocked shots with 36, and along with Sergei Gonchar made up the Penguins' top defensive pairing.
In other Penguins news, goaltender Jocelyn Thibault will get his first start of the year tonight against the Anaheim Ducks, who have not lost in the regular season yet this year. They are in first place in the Western Conference.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins
- Penguins notebook: Malkin returns to center
- Penguins notebook: Team pays tribute to Ottawa shooting victims
- Metropolitan Division holding own in early part of season
- Testing legs, giving backup goalie a chance are Penguins’ priorities
- Flyers continue mastery of Penguins at Consol
- Red Wings rally, shock Penguins in overtime
- Penguins’ Dupuis takes ice after leaving Thursday’s game on stretcher
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Penguins notebook: Newcomers get 1st taste of rivalry with Flyers