Pens' Eaton out indefinitely
ANAHEIM -- Penguins defenseman Mark Eaton will undergo surgery on his left wrist and will be out of the lineup indefinitely, the team announced Monday.
Eaton was injured in the first minute of Saturday's game against the San Jose Sharks after he was boarded by forward Jonathan Cheechoo. Cheechoo was ejected from the game.
Eaton returned to Pittsburgh on Sunday to be examined by team doctors, who said today that surgery would be necessary.
He is the team leader in blocked shots with 36, and along with Sergei Gonchar made up the Penguins' top defensive pairing.
In other Penguins news, goaltender Jocelyn Thibault will get his first start of the year tonight against the Anaheim Ducks, who have not lost in the regular season yet this year. They are in first place in the Western Conference.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police charge New Florence man in St. Clair officer’s killing
- Penn State coach fires offensive coordinator
- Travelers advised to arrive 2 hours early for flights from Pittsburgh International Airport
- New Kensington man killed in North Buffalo crash
- Police officer fatally shot in New Florence; suspect in custody
- Indiana Twp. liver transplant recipient, 2, takes steps toward normal life
- Aliquippa wins 16th WPIAL title, ends South Fayette’s 44-game winning streak
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- Zatkoff’s, Malkin’s heroics not enough as Oilers down Penguins in shootout
- Thomas Jefferson uses defense, running game to capture WPIAL title
- As historic breakup nears, Alcoa works to redefine its ‘advantage’