Pens' Eaton out indefinitely
ANAHEIM -- Penguins defenseman Mark Eaton will undergo surgery on his left wrist and will be out of the lineup indefinitely, the team announced Monday.
Eaton was injured in the first minute of Saturday's game against the San Jose Sharks after he was boarded by forward Jonathan Cheechoo. Cheechoo was ejected from the game.
Eaton returned to Pittsburgh on Sunday to be examined by team doctors, who said today that surgery would be necessary.
He is the team leader in blocked shots with 36, and along with Sergei Gonchar made up the Penguins' top defensive pairing.
In other Penguins news, goaltender Jocelyn Thibault will get his first start of the year tonight against the Anaheim Ducks, who have not lost in the regular season yet this year. They are in first place in the Western Conference.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Crosby appreciates his relationship with Penguins fans
- Penguins goalie prospects push each other amid friendly competition
- Penguins’ Johnston eager to implement up-tempo style
- Recchi relishes new role with Penguins
- AHL overtime rules create some confusion for Penguins prospects
- Penguins’ Dea impresses in rookie tournament opener
- Penguins goalie Fleury, a free agent at end of season, wants to stay
- NHL becomes no-spin zone during shootouts
- Rookie tourney offers opportunity for Penguins’ prospects