Pens' Eaton out indefinitely
ANAHEIM -- Penguins defenseman Mark Eaton will undergo surgery on his left wrist and will be out of the lineup indefinitely, the team announced Monday.
Eaton was injured in the first minute of Saturday's game against the San Jose Sharks after he was boarded by forward Jonathan Cheechoo. Cheechoo was ejected from the game.
Eaton returned to Pittsburgh on Sunday to be examined by team doctors, who said today that surgery would be necessary.
He is the team leader in blocked shots with 36, and along with Sergei Gonchar made up the Penguins' top defensive pairing.
In other Penguins news, goaltender Jocelyn Thibault will get his first start of the year tonight against the Anaheim Ducks, who have not lost in the regular season yet this year. They are in first place in the Western Conference.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins’ Lovejoy embracing defensive pairing with Pouliot
- Penguins notebook: Road trip increases in difficulty
- Crosby, Malkin chase scoring title amid defense-minded league
- Penguins notebook: Crosby says he would play goal if needed
- Penguins forwards struggle in loss to Avalanche
- Penguins notebook: Team exercising caution with Ehrhoff’s return from concussion
- Penguins need trade-deadline acquisitions to bring toughness
- Under Rutherford, it’s been a sizeable shakeup for Penguins
- Starkey: Penguins not mortgaging future
- Baby Penguins notebook: Goalie Murray on historic run of success
- Penguins notebook: ‘Skill practice’ part of optional workout