Pens' Eaton out indefinitely
ANAHEIM -- Penguins defenseman Mark Eaton will undergo surgery on his left wrist and will be out of the lineup indefinitely, the team announced Monday.
Eaton was injured in the first minute of Saturday's game against the San Jose Sharks after he was boarded by forward Jonathan Cheechoo. Cheechoo was ejected from the game.
Eaton returned to Pittsburgh on Sunday to be examined by team doctors, who said today that surgery would be necessary.
He is the team leader in blocked shots with 36, and along with Sergei Gonchar made up the Penguins' top defensive pairing.
In other Penguins news, goaltender Jocelyn Thibault will get his first start of the year tonight against the Anaheim Ducks, who have not lost in the regular season yet this year. They are in first place in the Western Conference.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Bennett status remains fluid
- Fleury collects career win No. 300 in crucial game against Bruins
- Penguins notebook: Johnston calls Quinn ‘phenomenal’ coach, person
- Fleury denied 300th win as Penguins lose to Islanders in shootout
- Penguins notebook: Dupuis’ absence will alter roles on penalty kill
- Finding balance between toughness, excessiveness key for Penguins’ Downie
- Mears savors success, credits legendary Lange for guidance, inspiration