Pens' Eaton out indefinitely
ANAHEIM -- Penguins defenseman Mark Eaton will undergo surgery on his left wrist and will be out of the lineup indefinitely, the team announced Monday.
Eaton was injured in the first minute of Saturday's game against the San Jose Sharks after he was boarded by forward Jonathan Cheechoo. Cheechoo was ejected from the game.
Eaton returned to Pittsburgh on Sunday to be examined by team doctors, who said today that surgery would be necessary.
He is the team leader in blocked shots with 36, and along with Sergei Gonchar made up the Penguins' top defensive pairing.
In other Penguins news, goaltender Jocelyn Thibault will get his first start of the year tonight against the Anaheim Ducks, who have not lost in the regular season yet this year. They are in first place in the Western Conference.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New assistant Agnew has Pens’ PK, defense among league’s best
- Starkey: Pens move on with, without Dupuis
- Penguins notebook: Fleury awaits word on when he’ll vie for 300th victory
- Rossi: For Penguins’ Dupuis, family must come first
- Bennett, Fleury lead Penguins to a complete victory over Canadiens
- Penguins’ Dupuis diagnosed with blood clot in lung
- Penguins goalie Greiss saves day in win over Maple Leafs
- Replacing versatile Dupuis could prove difficult for Penguins