Goaltender Jocelyn Thibault will make his second start of the season tonight against Buffalo. Marc-Andre Fleury will be back in goal Saturday against the New York Rangers at Mellon Arena.
Forward Evgeni Malkin did not comment Thursday on the court ruling that allowed him to remain with the Penguins. A federal court in New York rejected an injunction request by two Russian teams Wednesday. Malkin likely will stay mum until his former team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, decides whether to appeal the ruling.
A team official called Penguins coach Michel Therrien during a meeting Wednesday afternoon with the news about the court ruling.
"I was confident everything would be OK," Therrien said.
Forward Sidney Crosby wasn't even aware Malkin's case was in court until he read the update in yesterday's newspaper.
"I never knew there was a question whether he'd play the rest of the season," Crosby said. "It's good it's done. I'm sure it's a load off his mind, and it will be easier for him to go along now."
Forwards Nils Ekman and Maxime Talbot participated in the morning skate. Ekman sat out Monday's game against Philadelphia with an illness, and Talbot missed Wednesday's workout to attend to a personal matter.
6 - Sabres listed on the All-Star ballot.
3 - Penguins listed on the ballot.
12 - Assists in a nine-game span last month by Sabres forward Daniel Briere, the most productive string in the league this season.
- By Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins confident Pouliot will be healthy, ready for camp
- Penguins GM insists new coach Johnston was no afterthought
- Penguins coach says team needs to ‘lessen the load’ on Crosby
- Penguins goalie Fleury likely to enter season without new contract
- Penguins alumni rally to help Mitch Wilson, who is fighting ALS
- Rossi: Time with Penguins taught Bylsma importance of stability
- Now healthy, Penguins’ Bennett eyes bigger role
- Penguins captain Sidney Crosby says aching wrist doing better
- Penguins’ Scuderi offers honest assessment of his 2013-14 performance