Pens haven't won in Buffalo since '03
Since their last win in Buffalo on Nov. 14, 2003, the Penguins are 0-3-1 on the Sabres' home ice. Their first game at Buffalo this year was a 4-2 loss in which the Sabres went 2 for 4 on the power play and the Penguins were 0 for 6. The Sabres had a 3-0 lead before the Penguins scored their first goal late in the second period.
"They're a good team," coach Michel Therrien said. "There's no doubt this is the best team in the conference, and they're very close with Anaheim in the other conference. Any time you play teams like that, it's a huge challenge. (Today) is going to be a good measuring stick because I like the way we're playing lately. We have to respect that team, but in the meantime, we can't respect them too much because if we respect them too much, we're going to be on our heels. We still have to play our game."
• Team Canada and Penguins defensive prospect Kristopher Letang will face Russia for the gold medal at 12:30 today at the World Junior Championships in Sweden. Both teams are 5-0 going into the final, with Canada holding a 7-6-1 record in 14 lifetime meetings against the Russians since the early 1990s. Letang, who started the year with the Penguins, is Canada's captain and has the third-most points among defensemen with five assists in five games.
• Quotable: "My whole life, I don't know, I've just always looked to pass first. I wouldn't necessarily say it's a bad thing, but at the same time, sometimes it's not there, and you just have to say, 'If I get it in this spot, I'm just going to rip it.' It's something that I have to remind myself of, though, because I do tend to pass too much." - Penguins defenseman Ryan Whitney, on trying to shoot more on the power play.
158 - Goals scored by the Buffalo Sabres this year, the most in the NHL.
118 - Goals scored by the Penguins this year, eighth-most in the NHL.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Miami (Fla.) gets prepared to take on ‘physical’ Pitt team
- Four helicopters respond to Route 51 crash in Rostraver
- Alpine touring skiing movement faces uphill climb in Western Pa.
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- Leechburg boys set to go up-tempo
- District Game of the Week: Assumption at Slippery Rock
- Penguins 4th line is showing promise
- Newsmaker: Kostas Pelechrinis
- Donegal VFW to host Hunters Breakfast on opening day
- EPA works on algae rules to protect from toxins found in lakes, rivers
- Leechburg girls set out to build on breakout season