Pens haven't won in Buffalo since '03
Since their last win in Buffalo on Nov. 14, 2003, the Penguins are 0-3-1 on the Sabres' home ice. Their first game at Buffalo this year was a 4-2 loss in which the Sabres went 2 for 4 on the power play and the Penguins were 0 for 6. The Sabres had a 3-0 lead before the Penguins scored their first goal late in the second period.
"They're a good team," coach Michel Therrien said. "There's no doubt this is the best team in the conference, and they're very close with Anaheim in the other conference. Any time you play teams like that, it's a huge challenge. (Today) is going to be a good measuring stick because I like the way we're playing lately. We have to respect that team, but in the meantime, we can't respect them too much because if we respect them too much, we're going to be on our heels. We still have to play our game."
• Team Canada and Penguins defensive prospect Kristopher Letang will face Russia for the gold medal at 12:30 today at the World Junior Championships in Sweden. Both teams are 5-0 going into the final, with Canada holding a 7-6-1 record in 14 lifetime meetings against the Russians since the early 1990s. Letang, who started the year with the Penguins, is Canada's captain and has the third-most points among defensemen with five assists in five games.
• Quotable: "My whole life, I don't know, I've just always looked to pass first. I wouldn't necessarily say it's a bad thing, but at the same time, sometimes it's not there, and you just have to say, 'If I get it in this spot, I'm just going to rip it.' It's something that I have to remind myself of, though, because I do tend to pass too much." - Penguins defenseman Ryan Whitney, on trying to shoot more on the power play.
158 - Goals scored by the Buffalo Sabres this year, the most in the NHL.
118 - Goals scored by the Penguins this year, eighth-most in the NHL.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins’ Crosby OK with Neal comments about trade
- Predators GM Poile: Penguins’ firing of Shero not fair
- Penguins look to buck shots, goals trend
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins
- Penguins notebook: Carcillo has no hard feelings after failing to make roster
- Penguins notebook: Malkin returns to center
- Rossi: Fleury is, and will remain, Penguins’ soul
- Testing legs, giving backup goalie a chance are Penguins’ priorities
- Penguins notebook: Johnston blends music, practice for local students
- Penguins equipment manager attends to multitude of details
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates