Scouting the Sabres
Buffalo Sabres (51-21-7) at Penguins (45-23-11)
When and where: 7 p.m. at Mellon Arena
Probable goaltenders: Ryan Miller (37-16-6, 2.82 GAA); Marc-Andre Fleury (38-15-9, 2.85 GAA)
TV/radio: Versus; WXDX-FM (105.9)
Notable: The Penguins hold a 2-1-0 edge over the Sabres this season. Buffalo needs one point in its final four games to clinch home-ice advantage throughout the Eastern Conference, while the Penguins are in a dogfight with New Jersey for the Atlantic Division title. Both goaltenders have set career highs for wins and appearances, but Miller (60 games) and Fleury (64) rank 26th and 28th, respectively, in goals-against average. If Fleury plays the final three games, he can set the team record for games played by a goaltender, breaking the mark of 66 set by Johan Hedberg during the 2001-02 season. Penguins forward Mark Recchi has gone 20 games without a goal and has only three assists in three games against Buffalo this season and 19 in 68 career games against the Sabres.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Analysis: Where do the Penguins, Wilkes-Barre club go from here?
- AHL wing prospect Sheary an intriguing option for Penguins
- AHL goaltender Murray strumming favor with Penguins
- Starkey: Pens made right call on Babcock
- Penguins GM Rutherford: Medical updates upcoming
- Rossi: This type of hockey is a serious problem
- Penguins GM: Team not disciplined enough, buyouts possible, Bennett handled incorrectly