New Year's Day game in Buffalo highlights Pens' schedule
The Penguins will open the 2007-08 season on the road against the Carolina Hurricanes, Oct. 5, then return to Pittsburgh the following day and play host to the Stanley Cup champion Anaheim Ducks at Mellon Arena on Oct. 6.
The NHL released its official schedule this afternoon, and, as expected, the Penguins will play in Buffalo on New Year's Day at 1 p.m. That game could ultimately be played outdoors at Ralph Wilson Stadium in for an NBC televised "Ice Bowl," but as of now it is scheduled to be played at HSBC Arena.
Pittsburgh will play on Thanksgiving night, Nov. 22, in Ottawa - the first of four games against the Senators that will mark a rematch of an opening-round Eastern Conference playoff series, won by Ottawa in five games.
The Penguins will close October and start November on a seven-day road trip that begins in Minnesota and ends in New Jersey, with games in Colorado and the New York Islanders in between. December will bring a four-game trip that includes visits to Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver and Philadelphia.
The Penguins will play eight games - four at home - against Atlantic Division foes Philadelphia, New Jersey and the Rangers and Islanders. They will play at home against Western Conference teams from the Pacific division (Dallas, San Jose, Anaheim, Los Angeles and Phoenix) and at Northwest division teams (Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Vancouver and Minnesota).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Penguins notebook: Memorable night for Pouliot, Trocheck
- Minor league report: Other prospects on Penguins’ radar
- ‘Rash of sickness’ hits Crosby, Penguins
- Penguins’ Maatta to seek second opinion for shoulder
- With 3 more players possibly affected, Pens’ mumps fight escalates
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz ‘really close’ to return
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Penguins taking mumps precautions; forward Bennett may have virus