Penguins fall to Buffalo in home exhibition finale
Sidney Crosby continued to flash regular-season form with two power-play goals and an assist. However, goaltender Dany Sabourin struggled in a 6-5 loss to the Buffalo Sabres at Mellon Arena.
Crosby has scored three goals and recorded seven points in three exhibition games.
Sabourin was beaten cleanly on every goal, including Derek Roy's second with under a minute remaining in regulation.
An apparent tying-goal by Evgeni Malkin was waved off as regulation time had expired before he beat Buffalo goaltender Jocelyn Thibault.
The Penguins are 1-2-2 in the exhibition season, which they will wrap in Buffalo Saturday night.
Jordan Staal and Erik Christensen scored their first exhibition goals and Ryan Malone added his second for the Penguins.
Left wing Gary Roberts did not dress for the fourth time in five exhibition games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Rutherford proves savvy in deal
- Penguins trade for Toronto’s Kessel
- Penguins notebook: Sheary hoping to return to organization
- Shopping season starts up for Penguins amid onset of free agency
- Penguins intend to sign Russian winger Plotnikov, target Tikhonov
- Downie, Ehrhoff lead list of likely Penguins leaving in free agency
- Starkey: Kessel worth Penguins’ inquiry
- Penguins bringing back defenseman Cole with 3-year extension
- Examining the draft trends of the last 3 Penguins GMs
- Defenseman Martin’s agent planning meeting with Penguins at draft
- Scouts think Penguins could regain luster with minor tinkering