Penguins fall to Buffalo in home exhibition finale
Sidney Crosby continued to flash regular-season form with two power-play goals and an assist. However, goaltender Dany Sabourin struggled in a 6-5 loss to the Buffalo Sabres at Mellon Arena.
Crosby has scored three goals and recorded seven points in three exhibition games.
Sabourin was beaten cleanly on every goal, including Derek Roy's second with under a minute remaining in regulation.
An apparent tying-goal by Evgeni Malkin was waved off as regulation time had expired before he beat Buffalo goaltender Jocelyn Thibault.
The Penguins are 1-2-2 in the exhibition season, which they will wrap in Buffalo Saturday night.
Jordan Staal and Erik Christensen scored their first exhibition goals and Ryan Malone added his second for the Penguins.
Left wing Gary Roberts did not dress for the fourth time in five exhibition games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Crosby most excited by Kessel’s footspeed
- Timing drives former KHL star Plotnikov
- Crosby’s off-ice life hardly reflects that of a superstar
- Sestito ready to fight for job on Penguins
- Gonchar signs tryout contract with Penguins
- Ex-Penguin Kennedy skates with former teammates, hopes to catch on with a team
- Penguins defenseman Oleksy brings nasty streak, toughness
- Penguins’ Johnston: Kessel, Crosby likely to open season together