Pens' Crosby dabbles in goaltending
Sidney Crosby is a prolific goal scorer, but there was a time when he wanted to be a goaltender. He got his opportunity yesterday at the end of practice when he put on Marc-Andre Fleury's pads and got between the pipes.
"I don't know how awful I was, but it was fun," Crosby said. "But I had to be careful that I don't have any goalie-related injuries."
Though Crosby wasn't out-and-out terrible, neither Fleury nor backup Dany Sabourin has much to worry about from the defending NHL scoring champion.
"I think he's doing all right up front," Fleury said. "I think if he gets in the net, it may get a little rough."
Crosby is the leading Eastern Conference vote-getter for the annual NHL All-Star Game, which will be held in Atlanta on Jan. 27. In the first six days of voting, the 20-year-old Penguins captain has 94,118 votes, more than twice the total of Ottawa's Daniel Alfredsson (41,198), who is second among forwards. Crosby has more votes than the totals of the other two positions combined, ahead of Montreal defenseman Andrei Markov (48,134) and New York Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist (30,324).
A sprained ankle will keep center Maxime Talbot out of the lineup for 5-to-7 days. He scored his second shorthanded goal of the season in Saturday's 4-3 overtime loss to the Rangers.
12 - Points for the Penguins in their first 11 home games last season, two more than in 2007-08.
65 - Goals scored by the Penguins through the first 20 games of last season, nine more than 2007-08.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Minor league report: Other prospects on Penguins’ radar
- Penguins notebook: Memorable night for Pouliot, Trocheck
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Penguins star Crosby talks about his experience with mumps
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz ‘really close’ to return
- With 3 more players possibly affected, Pens’ mumps fight escalates
- ‘Rash of sickness’ hits Crosby, Penguins
- Mumps confirmed for Penguins’ Bennett; team intern also affected
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz tests foot by skating during practice
- Penguins notebook: Zatkoff returns to team as Fleury’s backup