Zamboni leak results in Pens-Sharks delay
A franchise-record 46th consecutive sellout crowd at Mellon Arena was not penalized for arriving late Sunday.
The Penguins' game against San Jose -- scheduled to start at 3 p.m. -- was delayed about 25 minutes due to a malfunctioning Zamboni. The popular ice-cleaning vehicle began leaking a red fluid as it proceeded toward the center red line during a pre-game surface clearing.
Jay Roberts, general manager of Mellon Arena for facility operator SMG, said the Zamboni leaked hydraulic fluid, and that engineers were slated to examine the vehicle last night. Roberts praised arena workers for their swift cleaning of the spill.
Three minutes were added to the first intermission to allow for a thorough cleaning of the surface by the arena's other Zamboni.
Back in the 'Burgh
Goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury was recalled from a conditioning assignment with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL.
He started five games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and went 3-2-0 with a 1.41 goals-against average and a .950 save percentage. He has missed 28 NHL games since his ankle was injured early during a game in Calgary on Dec. 6.
Fleury said he would "be happy" to start against the Islanders in New York on Tuesday.
Down on the farm
Forward Connor James was reassigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
James played in four games during his second stint this season with the Penguins. Overall, James failed to score in five games with the Penguins.
Scouts from Atlanta, Colorado, Boston and Ottawa were credentialed for the game yesterday. The trade deadline is Tuesday at 3 p.m.
Youth is served
Right wing Georges Laraque was honored with the Boys & Girls Clubs of America Service to Youth Award during a pre-game ceremony.
Laraque has visited each of nine Pittsburgh-area Boys & Girl Club locations over the past two months.
2 - Games played by San Jose this season that have been delayed; the Sharks' home opener Oct. 13 was 28 minutes late due to a power outage at HP Pavilion.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mears savors success, credits legendary Lange for guidance, inspiration
- Penguins minor league notebook: Pouliot impresses early in season
- Penguins notebook: Penguins getting fewer power-play opportunities
- Islanders outwork Penguins to sweep back-to-back meetings
- Replacing versatile Dupuis could prove difficult for Penguins
- Starkey: Pens move on with, without Dupuis
- Penguins’ Dupuis diagnosed with blood clot in lung
- Penguins notebook: Dupuis’ absence will alter roles on penalty kill
- Penguins roll past Sabres
- Penguins notebook: Dupuis to miss Penguins game in Montreal
- New assistant Agnew has Pens’ PK, defense among league’s best