Penguins' Hossa tests injured knee
Right wing Marian Hossa skated for about 40 minutes prior to practice Wednesday and described his knee as "a little stiff."
Hossa has not played since Feb. 28, when his Penguins debut was cut short due to a sprained right medial collateral ligament.
"I felt the same as I was expecting - not the best, but not too bad," Hossa said yesterday. "It's a little sore, but it's only been (a few) days since the injury."
Hossa said he "really hopes" to meet Therrien's prediction for a return Sunday against the Capitals in Washington, D.C.
"If the knee is not stiff or swollen (today), that's a good sign," Hossa said.
Center Jordan Staal jokingly acknowledged he was alive after practice yesterday. Staal participated in the full session even though he missed most of the Penguins' win in Tampa on Tuesday with bruised ribs.
"He looked all right," coach Michel Therrien said. "We'll find out (today)."
Staal is expected to play against the Florida Panthers tonight.
The Penguins' official Web site ( pittsburghpenguins.com ) rated No. 1 among NHL clubs in United States Web traffic during January, according to comScore Networks. That is a one-spot improvement from December, when the Penguins' site ranked second. The site placed fourth worldwide for both months.
Nice to meet you
Captain Sidney Crosby on New York Yankees star Johnny Damon, who attended the Penguins' game in Tampa on Tuesday: "I know of him, but it was my first time meeting him. He follows hockey. I've seen him at a few games."
.939 - Goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury's save percentage over his past 12 NHL appearances.
.927 - Goaltender Ty Conklin's league-leading save percentage.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins GM prepares for emotional series against Carolina
- Penguins notebook: Winning home games crucial for Penguins
- Penguins notebook: Bennett to miss about 2 weeks
- Penguins notebook: Johnston calls Quinn ‘phenomenal’ coach, person
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches 800 career points
- Penguins notebook: Bennett status remains fluid
- Penguins’ Scuderi, Despres an odd couple on defense
- Penguins minor league notebook: Pouliot impresses early in season
- Ehrhoff finding his way with Penguins
- Penguins goalie Greiss saves day in win over Maple Leafs
- Fleury denied 300th win as Penguins lose to Islanders in shootout