Pens' Conklin nominated for honor
Goaltender Ty Conklin was nominated by the Pittsburgh chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association as the Penguins' nominee for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy - awarded to the NHL player who best exemplifies qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.
One player from each team is slated for nomination by local PHWA members.
Conklin, 31, began the season in the AHL and made his first appearance for the Penguins on Dec. 11. He had since gone 17-6-5 with a 2.37 goals-against average and a league-best .927 save percentage, prior to Thursday.
No practice today
Despite a disappointing 5-2 loss to the Florida Panthers yesterday, coach Michel Therrien said the Penguins will not practice today. They have played 13 games in 23 days. The Penguins will skate Saturday in Coral Springs, Fla., before departing via charter plane to Washington, D.C., for a NBC-televised game against the Capitals on Sunday.
News and notes
Center Jordan Staal played against the Florida Panthers after his ribs were bruised early in a game at Tampa on Tuesday. Staal played less than five minutes against the Lightning. ... Florida head athletic trainer Dave Zenobi was honored before the game. He was presented ADT's Good Sport Award for helping to treat Florida forward Richard Zednik's gruesome throat injury in Buffalo on Feb. 10. Zednik's throat was cut by a skate blade, and Zenobi's quick work to stabilize the bleeding is credit with preventing a fatality.
36 - Combined goals scored by Ryan Malone, Evgeni Malkin and Petr Sykora in 22 previous games prior to last night.
13 - Consecutive games defenseman Darryl Sydor had gone without a penalty before last night
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Healthy again, Penguins’ Dupuis eager for game action
- Penguins notebook: Wild beat Pens behind Pominville’s hat trick
- Penguins notebook: Scuderi OK with new defensive system
- Ex-assistant Granato: No animosity toward Penguins
- Penguins’ Kapanen bolsters chance to make team in exhibition win
- With analytics, NHL is whole new game
- Penguins notebook: Injury to sideline Bennett 6 weeks
- Penguins notebook: Consol ice still a matter of concern
- Veteran right winger Adams fighting for roster spot with Penguins
- Penguins blanked at Columbus, 2-0
- Penguins’ Kapanen impressing under tutelage of Maatta