Pens' Conklin nominated for honor
Goaltender Ty Conklin was nominated by the Pittsburgh chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association as the Penguins' nominee for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy - awarded to the NHL player who best exemplifies qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.
One player from each team is slated for nomination by local PHWA members.
Conklin, 31, began the season in the AHL and made his first appearance for the Penguins on Dec. 11. He had since gone 17-6-5 with a 2.37 goals-against average and a league-best .927 save percentage, prior to Thursday.
No practice today
Despite a disappointing 5-2 loss to the Florida Panthers yesterday, coach Michel Therrien said the Penguins will not practice today. They have played 13 games in 23 days. The Penguins will skate Saturday in Coral Springs, Fla., before departing via charter plane to Washington, D.C., for a NBC-televised game against the Capitals on Sunday.
News and notes
Center Jordan Staal played against the Florida Panthers after his ribs were bruised early in a game at Tampa on Tuesday. Staal played less than five minutes against the Lightning. ... Florida head athletic trainer Dave Zenobi was honored before the game. He was presented ADT's Good Sport Award for helping to treat Florida forward Richard Zednik's gruesome throat injury in Buffalo on Feb. 10. Zednik's throat was cut by a skate blade, and Zenobi's quick work to stabilize the bleeding is credit with preventing a fatality.
36 - Combined goals scored by Ryan Malone, Evgeni Malkin and Petr Sykora in 22 previous games prior to last night.
13 - Consecutive games defenseman Darryl Sydor had gone without a penalty before last night
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Under Rutherford, it’s been a sizeable shakeup for Penguins
- Baby Penguins notebook: Goalie Murray on historic run of success
- Winnik impresses Penguins in first workout
- Penguins notebook: Shootouts becoming a concern
- Penguins’ Kunitz makes a dream come true
- Finding perfect pairing for Ehrhoff key for Penguins
- Trade for Winnik gives Penguins competition among bottom six
- Penguins eye move for former center Staal
- Penguins notebook: As Pens get healthy, Sill is finding place in lineup
- Penguins notebook: No discipline for Capitals’ Wilson
- Crosby fights, Penguins lose to Blue Jackets