• Penguins left wing Gary Roberts missed a third consecutive game Friday due to a groin injury. He was optimistic about his status at practice Thursday and appeared frustrated after the morning skate yesterday. Coach Michel Therrien said Roberts made the decision not to play in Game 1. "It was Gary's call," Therrien said. "We were disappointed, but you have to respect his decision. He felt he was not 100 percent."
• Aside from Roberts, the Penguins scratched the following players: forward Jeff Taffe and Kris Beech, defenseman Darryl Sydor and goaltender Dany Sabourin. Those four players have yet to appear in the playoffs.
• Forward Colton Orr replaced Ryan Hollweg on a checking line for the Rangers, who also scratched forwards Petr Prucha, Greg Moore and Dane Byers, and defensemen Marek Malik and Jason Strudwick.
• Fans were encouraged to support the Penguins with a "whiteout" at Mellon Arena. The concept of home fans wearing uniform white shirts is hardly unique and is practiced by many NHL teams. The "whiteout" idea dates to fans of the Winnipeg Jets creating a bright backdrop for home playoff games. Rangers center Scott Gomez is a fan of the "whiteout." "It's good for hockey," he said.
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
A division of Trib Total Media is your one-stop-shop for all of your branded merchandise needs.
We specialize in providing quality affordable promotional products for every type of business including non-profits, schools, universities, sports teams and more. With 1000’s of products to choose from, our knowledgeable staff can help you find the perfect apparel item or product to suit your needs and budget.
Why use TPSolutions?
• Quality, brand name, screen printed and embroidered apparel
• Competitive prices
• Free design services
• Volume and non-profit discounts available
• Quick turn around
We offer a wide variety of traditional and new digital advertising options customized to fit your needs!
Whether you're just starting out, or you've been a keystone in the community for years, our knowledgeable staff can provide you with a customized package including online banners/advertisements, Social Media Marketing (Facebook / Twitter), Website development, Search Engine Optimization, Email Marketing solutions and much more!
Contact your local sales rep today for details, personalized proposal and a meeting to discuss how we can meet your needs.