Should Pens' Scuderi have played'
Burning Question: Should injured defenseman Rob Scuderi have played in Game 4 against the New York Rangers?
Breakdown: Scuderi and center Max Talbot were in walking boots Wednesday after sustaining foot injuries while blocking shots in Game 3. Talbot suffered a broken right foot and didn't play in Game 4. X-rays on Scuderi's left foot were negative, and he suited up Thursday night.
PuckSpeak: "If I really thought I was going to be hurting my team, I wouldn't play, but I don't think that's the case at all. It's uncomfortable, but it's certainly nothing that probably most of the guys in this room aren't playing with right now. The trainers were a little concerned; as a defenseman you're pivoting a lot, going frontwards to backwards. But I tried it more than a few times during the pregame skate and didn't have any difficulties. There's no reason I shouldn't play tonight." -- Rob Scuderi.
Looking Ahead: The Penguins have defenseman Darryl Sydor waiting in the wings for just such an emergency, and Sydor has two Stanley Cups and four trips to the Cup final on his resume. But Scuderi is a professional and a competitor, and as such he was determined to play. Once he established himself as capable in the game-day skate, the Penguins had no choice but to let him play. He's been a quiet but invaluable part of what the Penguins have accomplished this postseason. And the chemistry coach Michel Therrien has been so careful to maintain had already been altered by Talbot's absence. Scuderi deserved the chance to continue doing what he's been doing. Additional Information:
Click here to launch.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- With 3 more players possibly affected, Pens’ mumps fight escalates
- Penguins continue to thrive, despite spate of ailments
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz tests foot by skating during practice
- Penguins player might have exposed Children’s Hospital patients to mumps
- ‘Rash of sickness’ hits Crosby, Penguins
- Penguins’ Maatta to seek second opinion for shoulder
- Penguins defenseman Letang having best season in new system
- Blue Jackets prevail over Penguins in shootout
- Penguins notebook: Johnston stands by decision on Crosby
- Penguins notebook: Crosby to miss 2 games as precautionary measure
- Mumps confirmed for Penguins’ Bennett; team intern also affected