Penguins sell out remaining Games 3 and 4 tickets
The Penguins sold out today their remaining tickets for Game 3 and Game 4 of the Stanley Cup final series against the Detroit Red Wings.
The team had approximately 1,000 tickets available for each game at Mellon Arena, and they went on sale at 10 a.m.
Game 3 of the best-of-seven series is May 28. Game 4 is May 31.
Dating to last season, the Penguins have sold out 66 consecutive games.
The Red Wings sold out 8,000 tickets - 2,000 each for four potential home games (Games 1, 2, 5 and 7) in the best-of-seven series - in only 10 minutes Tuesday.
The Stanley Cup final will start with games Saturday and Monday in Detroit before returning to Pittsburgh for games May 28 and 31. All games are scheduled to start at 8 p.m.
Approximately 1,000 tickets for Games 3 and 4 will be available today - the maximum number that buyers can purchase is two tickets each - through a lottery system. Tickets can be purchased online , by calling Ticketmaster at 412-323-1919 or at Mellon Arena Gate One Box Office.
Detroit has sold out 17 of its past 23 games at Joe Louis Arena, including all eight home playoff games. The Penguins have sold out 64 consecutive games at Mellon Arena, including all eight home playoff games this year.
Steve Violetta, the Red Wings' senior vice president of business affairs, said the club had no way of telling how many Penguins fans purchased Stanley Cup final tickets in Detroit, but he anticipates the proximity of the two teams will be a factor.
"You would think more probably than normal, because it's a drive rather than a flight," Violetta said. "I'm sure there's going to be Red Wings fans trying to buy tickets in Pittsburgh when the Penguins' tickets go on sale (today)."
Here is the complete 2008 Stanley Cup Final schedule:
|2008 Stanley Cup Final Schedule|
|1||Saturday, May 24||8 p.m.||Detroit||Versus|
|2||Monday, May 26||8 p.m.||Detroit||Versus|
|3||Wednesday, May 28||8 p.m.||Pittsburgh||NBC|
|4||Saturday, May 31||8 p.m.||Pittsburgh||NBC|
|5||Monday, June 2*||8 p.m.||Detroit||NBC|
|6||Wednesday, June 4*||8 p.m.||Pittsburgh||NBC|
|7||Saturday, June 7*||8 p.m.||Detroit||NBC|
|* if necessary|
Click here to launch.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins
- Penguins notebook: Malkin returns to center
- Penguins notebook: Team pays tribute to Ottawa shooting victims
- Metropolitan Division holding own in early part of season
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- Testing legs, giving backup goalie a chance are Penguins’ priorities
- Red Wings rally, shock Penguins in overtime
- Special teams shine for Penguins in win
- Penguins notebook: Dupuis returns to lineup
- Rossi: Fleury is, and will remain, Penguins’ soul
- Penguins notebook: Newcomers get 1st taste of rivalry with Flyers