Malkin's family staying home
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Penguins senior director of team services and media relations Frank Buonomo spent the past two days arranging lodging and ticket distribution for players and coaches, who are being inundated with requests from family and friends.
Most of them, anyway. Center Evgeni Malkin said his parents "probably won't come" to the United States for the Cup final.
"They will watch in Russia," Malkin said. "Long trip from there."
Malkin's parents have made two trips overseas to watch him play in the NHL.
The Penguins did not practice Tuesday, opting instead for meetings at Mellon Arena. They will practice today, Thursday and Friday morning before leaving early that afternoon for Detroit.
Too young to know better
The team's younger players did not show signs of nervousness - confirming a suspicion first raised by Tampa Bay coach John Tortorella that the Penguins simply lack the collective experience necessary to understand the pressure that comes with the playing in the Stanley Cup final.
"When you don't have (experience), it's, like, what does it change?" coach Michel Therrien said. "There's no fear in our dressing room right now, and one of the reasons is we don't know (fear)."
6 -- Players on the current Penguins roster to have played in a Stanley Cup final.
13 -- Center Jordan Staal's age when Detroit defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom won the Cup for a third time in 2002 Additional Information:
Click here to launch.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hit sends Penguins’ Letang to hospital
- Penguins notebook: Johnston stays with team despite mother’s death
- Penguins minor league notebook: WBS players eager for possible NHL playoff call-up
- Downie’s goal, fight spark Penguins to win over Coyotes
- Players respect coach, refuse to blame Johnston
- Penguins coach Johnston’s mother dies
- Penguins’ protracted slump continues with 5-2 loss at Carolina
- Penguins notebook: Malkin likely to return Saturday
- Penguins, Blues players adjust to roles with new teams
- Penguins notebook: Staal insists he never asked for trade to Penguins
- Penguins notebook: Team exercising caution with Ehrhoff’s return from concussion