Insider: Laraque-Probert a dream matchup
Burning question: How would Penguins enforcer Georges Laraque have fared in a fight against Red Wings legend Bob Probert in his prime?
Breakdown: "I'd probably get killed," Laraque said. Really• "Yes," Laraque said. "He's the ultimate, the best fighter of all time." The two actually did fight a few times late in Probert's career, when Probert was with the Chicago Blackhawks and Laraque with the Edmonton Oilers. Neither bout was overly dramatic. Laraque scored a decision in one, for sure. He was glad for the experience. "He was not in his prime anymore, but every fighter wanted a chance to go with him, just so you could say you fought with the best fighter of all-time."
PuckSpeak: "Any one of those guys in their prime, Probert, Dave Brown, (Joey) Kocur - that guy could probably break a cement wall with his fist -- I wouldn't like to see in a fight. I'm glad I came along when their prime was over." -- Laraque.
Looking ahead: Laraque and Probert, who spent the first nine years of his NHL career with the Red Wings and retired in 2002, may renew acquaintances at Martin Brodeur's charity poker tournament this summer in Montreal. The two waged battle (at the card table) there last summer. "He took me out," Laraque said. Laraque would like to be regarded, like Probert, as an enforcer who also could play the game. These playoffs haven't hurt. Going into Game 1 on Saturday, he had been part of three important goals.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins lose hard-fought game to Blue Jackets in overtime
- Unabashed church pastors put politics front and center
- Contractor eyes early finish to work on New Stanton interchange of Interstate 70
- Unsung backups provide boost for Steelers defensive line
- Former Pirates pitcher Happ agrees to $36 million, 3-year deal with Blue Jays
- Starkey: Flashback Friday for Pitt
- Puppy, pals come to rescue of Lower Burrell firefighters
- Body found in Allegheny River in Harrison
- Gilbert, son of ex-Pitt football standout, commits to Panthers
- Pitt falls flat in finale loss to Miami
- WPIAL Class A final preview: Jeannette proved it was up to challenge of facing Clairton during Eastern Conference matchup