Insider: Laraque-Probert a dream matchup
Burning question: How would Penguins enforcer Georges Laraque have fared in a fight against Red Wings legend Bob Probert in his prime?
Breakdown: "I'd probably get killed," Laraque said. Really• "Yes," Laraque said. "He's the ultimate, the best fighter of all time." The two actually did fight a few times late in Probert's career, when Probert was with the Chicago Blackhawks and Laraque with the Edmonton Oilers. Neither bout was overly dramatic. Laraque scored a decision in one, for sure. He was glad for the experience. "He was not in his prime anymore, but every fighter wanted a chance to go with him, just so you could say you fought with the best fighter of all-time."
PuckSpeak: "Any one of those guys in their prime, Probert, Dave Brown, (Joey) Kocur - that guy could probably break a cement wall with his fist -- I wouldn't like to see in a fight. I'm glad I came along when their prime was over." -- Laraque.
Looking ahead: Laraque and Probert, who spent the first nine years of his NHL career with the Red Wings and retired in 2002, may renew acquaintances at Martin Brodeur's charity poker tournament this summer in Montreal. The two waged battle (at the card table) there last summer. "He took me out," Laraque said. Laraque would like to be regarded, like Probert, as an enforcer who also could play the game. These playoffs haven't hurt. Going into Game 1 on Saturday, he had been part of three important goals.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins trade for Toronto’s Kessel; lose Martin, Comeau via free agency
- Penguins notebook: Sheary hoping to return to organization
- Shopping season starts up for Penguins amid onset of free agency
- Penguins intend to sign Russian winger Plotnikov, target Tikhonov
- Rossi: Gonchar is what Pens need
- Scouts think Penguins could regain luster with minor tinkering
- Downie, Ehrhoff lead list of likely Penguins leaving in free agency
- Penguins bringing back defenseman Cole with 3-year extension
- Shopping season begins for Penguins amid onset of free agency
- Penguins depth chart breakdown: Defensive prospects to get chance
- Pouliot seeks to improve fitness with grueling workout regimen