Penguins set for 'Classic' blue debut
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A mid-November Saturday night at Mellon Arena will look a lot like New Year's Day.
The Penguins will debut their alternate uniforms Nov. 15 at home against the Buffalo Sabres, the Tribune-Review has learned.
The uniforms will mirror the retro-themed ones worn against Buffalo at the New Year's Day NHL Winter Classic. The alternate design borrows from several early uniform incarnations and consists of a predominantly baby blue sweater and socks, with navy pants, gloves and helmet.
The Penguins had no comment Monday regarding the alternate uniforms debut date. However, they are finalizing plans for a formal re-introduction, which could include players modeling the alternate uniforms sometime prior to the Nov. 15 contest.
The alternate uniform is slated to be worn at select home games throughout the season.
Local merchants will begin selling the alternate sweaters around Nov. 15. League policy is for alternate sweaters to go on sale near their debut date, but not several weeks prior.
The Penguins have not worn an alternate uniform since 2001-02, when their current home black-and-gold design served as a third uniform. The franchise has worn a variation of black-and-gold uniforms since Jan. 30, 1980, when it switched from its original color scheme of various blues.
Pittsburgh is the only city in North America with each of its professional clubs sharing a primary color scheme.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins score 1st win in San Jose in 18 years
- Pitt’s surge goes for naught as No. 11 Purdue prevails at Pete
- Pirates showing interest in starting pitcher Masterson
- Steelers notebook: Opportunity awaits Boykin
- Boras: Alvarez’s power is too valuable for Pirates to let him leave
- Web-savvy terrorists have success luring U.S. recruits with social media
- Stylish, inexpensive dress takes television newsrooms by storm
- Overseas data, financial shares lead stocks to strong December start
- Greater Latrobe doesn’t intend to raise taxes above index set by state
- Perryopolis, Perry Township communities talk ambulance woes
- Express Scripts to offer alternative to $750 toxoplasmosis medication