Letang working on shootout skills
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• D Kris Letang, who is 0-for-2 in shootouts this season after leading all players at his position with four goals in that category last season, said he will consider trying a new move. A deliberate backhand, which the right-handed shooting Letang often gets high, is no longer his so-called money shot; Letang has gone to that shot on each of his shootout attempts this season. "I should do my move quicker and get it high quicker," Letang said. "Of course, I'm going to try some other stuff, but you have to analyze the goalie every time. A lot of them give you the backhander, so if you can get it high quick, it usually works. But maybe I'm going to start mixing it up."
• The Penguins did not practice Sunday. They left New York via a charter plane for San Jose, where they will practice today for a game Tuesday against the Sharks. That game is the second of a four-contest road trip that also takes the Penguins to Phoenix and St. Louis.
• Imagine where the Penguins' offense would be had coach Michel Therrien not reconfigured his lines to include Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin on the top unit. Those players have combined for 16 points over the past four games. Crosby and Malkin have played a part in eight of the Penguins' past 12 goals.
56 -- Penguins shot differential in the third period through nine games
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Penguins notebook: Crosby understands NHL’s reasoning for ban
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Letang produces 5 assists in return as Penguins defeat Jets, 5-3
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended 8 games for hit on Letang
- Penguins notebook: Letang’s status vs. Jets uncertain
- Penguins’ Fleury surrenders 7 goals in 1 period of NHL All-Star Game loss
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- Penguins limp into All-Star break, welcome chance to recuperate