Sabourin gets nod against Sharks
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Goalkeeper Dany Sabourin waited almost exactly eight months between his final start last season, Feb. 21 at Montreal, and his first start this season, Oct. 20 at Boston. An eight-day break between starts might seem a bit rushed. Coach Michel Therrien said after practice Monday that Sabourin would play against the Sharks at San Jose tonight. It was no surprise. Regular starter Marc-Andre Fleury has performed quite well over eight starts - seventh in goals-against average (2.17) and third in save percentage (.933) as of yesterday. Sabourin was also strong in his lone start, stopping 35 shots in a shootout win at Boston.
• After a day off for travel Sunday, the Penguins practiced for almost 90 minutes yesterday. They are coming off a shootout loss at the New York Rangers on Saturday, a game in which they squandered a 2-0 third-period lead.
• Defenseman Hal Gill is not expected to play tonight, Therrien said. Gill (right hand) has missed two consecutive games since he was injured by a shot at Boston. He once again skated, in full gear, with a trainer after practice yesterday. Therrien has said Gill could play on this four-game road trip. The Penguins play Thursday at Phoenix and Saturday at St. Louis. Darryl Sydor will play a third consecutive game after appearing in only two of the club's first seven contests.
• Defenseman Alex Grant, one of the organization's fast-rising prospects, signed a three-year, entry-level deal, the Penguins announced. The 118th pick overall in 2007, Grant, 19, has appeared in 195 games with Saint John of the QMJHL, recording 105 points (35 goals). He will remain with his junior club.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Harmar to allow electrified security fencing
- Armstrong home repair program receives second grant
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Southmoreland High School junior’s broken jaw ‘could have been avoided’
- EF boys soccer team hopes more players means more success
- Scouts prepare goodie bags as show of support for A-K Valley police
- Fire ravages 2 buildings in downtown New Kensington
- Ramp work makes travel better for handicapped in Ford City, Kittanning
- Five things you should know about Alibaba’s leadership
- Sutersville principal’s comments taken out of context, district claims
- Mon Valley warrant sweep yields 10 arrests