Sabourin gets nod against Sharks
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Goalkeeper Dany Sabourin waited almost exactly eight months between his final start last season, Feb. 21 at Montreal, and his first start this season, Oct. 20 at Boston. An eight-day break between starts might seem a bit rushed. Coach Michel Therrien said after practice Monday that Sabourin would play against the Sharks at San Jose tonight. It was no surprise. Regular starter Marc-Andre Fleury has performed quite well over eight starts - seventh in goals-against average (2.17) and third in save percentage (.933) as of yesterday. Sabourin was also strong in his lone start, stopping 35 shots in a shootout win at Boston.
• After a day off for travel Sunday, the Penguins practiced for almost 90 minutes yesterday. They are coming off a shootout loss at the New York Rangers on Saturday, a game in which they squandered a 2-0 third-period lead.
• Defenseman Hal Gill is not expected to play tonight, Therrien said. Gill (right hand) has missed two consecutive games since he was injured by a shot at Boston. He once again skated, in full gear, with a trainer after practice yesterday. Therrien has said Gill could play on this four-game road trip. The Penguins play Thursday at Phoenix and Saturday at St. Louis. Darryl Sydor will play a third consecutive game after appearing in only two of the club's first seven contests.
• Defenseman Alex Grant, one of the organization's fast-rising prospects, signed a three-year, entry-level deal, the Penguins announced. The 118th pick overall in 2007, Grant, 19, has appeared in 195 games with Saint John of the QMJHL, recording 105 points (35 goals). He will remain with his junior club.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Pens move on with, without Dupuis
- 6 shot at Clairton speakeasy; police seek suspects
- Play of nose tackles could have impact on Steelers’ stretch run
- WPIAL’s Top 10 football champions of all time
- Enrollment count in federal health care law padded, House panel says
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base
- Westmoreland County’s Excela Health rethinks patient debts
- New assistant Agnew has Pens’ PK, defense among league’s best
- Cost-of-living raises boost salaries of top Pa. officials
- Snow removal crews from Pennsylvania hit the road to help Buffalo
- Steelers notebook: Heinz Field not in play for Bills-Jets