Scouting the Sabres
Penguins vs. Sabres
7:30 p.m. today · Game 17 * Mellon Arena
TV/radio: FSN Pittsburgh/WXDX-FM (105.9)
Last game: Won, 5-4, in a shootout against the Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday at Mellon Arena.
Season series: 1st meeting; Penguins won, 4-0, in 2007-08.
About the Penguins (10-4-2, 22 pts): Have scored 25 goals in past five games; totaled only 25 goals in 11 games prior. Injuries: D Sergei Gonchar (out, left shoulder), D Ryan Whitney (out, left foot).
Streak: Won 5
Player to watch: LW Ruslan Fedotenko - two of his three goals have been winners; 16 points in 27 career games against Buffalo.
About the Sabres (9-3-3, 21 pts): Faced Columbus on Friday; have killed 31-of-32 power plays on the road. Injuries: C Tim Connolly (day-to-day, upper body injury).
Player to watch: RW Jason Pominville - 3 goals, 6 points in 11 career games against Penguins.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins boast several good blueliners with point-producing skills
- Penguins notebook: Crosby gets early work
- Red Wings beat Penguins, 2-1, in preseason opener
- Penguins forward Megna’s skill set might be perfect fit
- Inside the glass: Penguins’ Martin, Ehrhoff look comfortable together
- Penguins’ Rutherford hopes to raise Cup again
- Penguins notebook: Carcillo hopes to give team physical edge
- Penguins notebook: Crosby sits, could be out ‘couple days’
- Inside the glass: Sutter takes puck to face
- Finally healthy, Letang looking to make his presence felt as a leader
- Penguins notebook: Hornqvist, Spaling will lead by example