Scouting the Sabres
Penguins vs. Sabres
7:30 p.m. today · Game 17 * Mellon Arena
TV/radio: FSN Pittsburgh/WXDX-FM (105.9)
Last game: Won, 5-4, in a shootout against the Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday at Mellon Arena.
Season series: 1st meeting; Penguins won, 4-0, in 2007-08.
About the Penguins (10-4-2, 22 pts): Have scored 25 goals in past five games; totaled only 25 goals in 11 games prior. Injuries: D Sergei Gonchar (out, left shoulder), D Ryan Whitney (out, left foot).
Streak: Won 5
Player to watch: LW Ruslan Fedotenko - two of his three goals have been winners; 16 points in 27 career games against Buffalo.
About the Sabres (9-3-3, 21 pts): Faced Columbus on Friday; have killed 31-of-32 power plays on the road. Injuries: C Tim Connolly (day-to-day, upper body injury).
Player to watch: RW Jason Pominville - 3 goals, 6 points in 11 career games against Penguins.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Crosby says he would play goal if needed
- Crosby, Malkin chase scoring title amid defense-minded league
- Penguins need trade-deadline acquisitions to bring toughness
- Rangers up ante in Metropolitan Division with trade acquisitions
- Penguins acquire defensemen Lovejoy, Cole in deadline deals
- Penguins GM Rutherford not counting on Dupuis’ return
- Penguins eye move for former center Staal
- Starkey: Penguins not mortgaging future
- Power play shines in Penguins’ home victory over Blue Jackets
- Penguins notebook: ‘Skill practice’ part of optional workout
- Penguins notebook: Team exercising caution with Ehrhoff’s return from concussion