Scouting the Sabres
Penguins at Sabres
7:30 p.m. · HSBC Arena · Buffalo
TV/radio: FSN Pittsburgh/WXDX (105.9 FM)
Last game: Won, 5-3, over the New York Islanders at Nassau Coliseum on Wednesday.
Season series: 2nd meeting. Penguins lead season series, 1-0. Last game: Penguins 5, Sabres 2 on Nov. 15 at Mellon Arena.
About the Penguins (13-5-3, 29 pts): Have failed to score a power-play goal in six of 10 road games but have gone 4-1-1 in those contests. ... Are 7-4-0 in games when they trail entering the third period. Injuries: C/LW Max Talbot (TBD, left foot), G Marc-Andre Fleury (out, undisclosed injury), D Sergei Gonchar (out, left shoulder), D Ryan Whitney (out, left foot).
Streak: Won 1
Player to watch: RW Miroslav Satan - Only one goal in eight games and just five in 17 career contests against Sabres, his former club.
About the Sabres (10-8-3, 23 pts): Snapped five-game losing skid with a win Wednesday at Boston. C Derek Roy registered his first two-goal game of the season. Injuries: LW Thomas Vanek (probably, left thigh), RW Alex Kotalik (out, hamstring).
Player to watch: C Derek Roy - 15 goals, 44 points in 55 career games played Fridays.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mackey: For Pens’ Winnik, playing with Crosby an ongoing process
- Penguins pushing to sell playoff tickets
- Penguins stars Crosby, Malkin enduring playoff slump
- Penguins notebook: Ehrhoff, Pouliot remain questionable for Game 2
- Penguins’ 4th line a bright spot in Game 1 loss
- Penguins know what’s coming in their playoff series against Rangers
- Rangers prove best defense is aggressive offense in Game 1
- Could this be last go-around for current group of Penguins?
- No big screen this year for Penguins playoff games
- Penguins coach: Solution to goal shortage better quality shots, not higher volume
- Penguins’ star power has Rangers angling to avoid series upset