Scouting the Sabres
Penguins at Sabres
7:30 p.m. · HSBC Arena · Buffalo
TV/radio: FSN Pittsburgh/WXDX (105.9 FM)
Last game: Won, 5-3, over the New York Islanders at Nassau Coliseum on Wednesday.
Season series: 2nd meeting. Penguins lead season series, 1-0. Last game: Penguins 5, Sabres 2 on Nov. 15 at Mellon Arena.
About the Penguins (13-5-3, 29 pts): Have failed to score a power-play goal in six of 10 road games but have gone 4-1-1 in those contests. ... Are 7-4-0 in games when they trail entering the third period. Injuries: C/LW Max Talbot (TBD, left foot), G Marc-Andre Fleury (out, undisclosed injury), D Sergei Gonchar (out, left shoulder), D Ryan Whitney (out, left foot).
Streak: Won 1
Player to watch: RW Miroslav Satan - Only one goal in eight games and just five in 17 career contests against Sabres, his former club.
About the Sabres (10-8-3, 23 pts): Snapped five-game losing skid with a win Wednesday at Boston. C Derek Roy registered his first two-goal game of the season. Injuries: LW Thomas Vanek (probably, left thigh), RW Alex Kotalik (out, hamstring).
Player to watch: C Derek Roy - 15 goals, 44 points in 55 career games played Fridays.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Team pays tribute to Ottawa shooting victims
- Metropolitan Division holding own in early part of season
- Flyers continue mastery of Penguins at Consol
- Rossi: Fleury is, and will remain, Penguins’ soul
- Testing legs, giving backup goalie a chance are Penguins’ priorities
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Penguins notebook: Newcomers get 1st taste of rivalry with Flyers
- Penguins notebook: Dupuis returns to lineup
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- Penguins equipment manager attends to multitude of details