Pens' Pesonen sees action
LW Janne Pesonen, recalled Thursday from AHL affiliate Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, played Friday at Buffalo even though forward Max Talbot was in the lineup despite an undisclosed injury. Talbot did not finish the game Wednesday at the New York Islanders after his left skate boot absorbed a close-range slap shot near the center-red line. It was presumed Pesonen was promoted as insurance in case Talbot could not play, but coach Michel Therrien said before the game he wanted to "find out" about Pesonen.
"When you call up a player like this ... you want some answers," Therrien said of Pesonen, a former Finnish Elite League star who was third at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton with 21 points in his first pro North American Season. "It's going to be a test for him."
Pesonen skated with C Evgeni Malkin and RW Petr Sykora.
• LW Ruslan Fedotenko was a healthy scratch for the first time this season to make room in the lineup for Pesonen. Fedotenko, who has not scored in four games and has four goals in 21 games, joined D Mark Eaton and G Marc-Andre Fleury on the scratched list.
• Therrien also confirmed the worst-kept secret in Pittsburgh: Fleury is now week-to-week with an undisclosed injury. Fleury, who is thought to have injured his groin Nov. 15 in a home game against Buffalo, skated in Pittsburgh yesterday, Therrien said.
• The Penguins are again collecting toys and cash donations at their game tonight against New Jersey at Mellon Arena. All donations will be donated to the U.S. Marines' "Toys for Tots" program. The team held a similar drive Nov. 22, and fans donated more than 1,500 toys and $5,000 in cash for in-need children around Pittsburgh.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Crosby understands rule prohibiting him from playing, stresses he is hurt
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended 8 games for hit on Letang
- Penguins recall 4 players
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full
- Penguins notebook: Letang’s status vs. Jets uncertain
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- Penguins’ Fleury surrenders 7 goals in 1 period of NHL All-Star Game loss
- Fleury’s relay team struggles in NHL skills competition
- Penguins limp into All-Star break, welcome chance to recuperate
- Letang, Malkin miss game versus Blackhawks