LW Janne Pesonen, recalled Thursday from AHL affiliate Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, played Friday at Buffalo even though forward Max Talbot was in the lineup despite an undisclosed injury. Talbot did not finish the game Wednesday at the New York Islanders after his left skate boot absorbed a close-range slap shot near the center-red line. It was presumed Pesonen was promoted as insurance in case Talbot could not play, but coach Michel Therrien said before the game he wanted to "find out" about Pesonen.
"When you call up a player like this ... you want some answers," Therrien said of Pesonen, a former Finnish Elite League star who was third at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton with 21 points in his first pro North American Season. "It's going to be a test for him."
Pesonen skated with C Evgeni Malkin and RW Petr Sykora.
• LW Ruslan Fedotenko was a healthy scratch for the first time this season to make room in the lineup for Pesonen. Fedotenko, who has not scored in four games and has four goals in 21 games, joined D Mark Eaton and G Marc-Andre Fleury on the scratched list.
• Therrien also confirmed the worst-kept secret in Pittsburgh: Fleury is now week-to-week with an undisclosed injury. Fleury, who is thought to have injured his groin Nov. 15 in a home game against Buffalo, skated in Pittsburgh yesterday, Therrien said.
• The Penguins are again collecting toys and cash donations at their game tonight against New Jersey at Mellon Arena. All donations will be donated to the U.S. Marines' "Toys for Tots" program. The team held a similar drive Nov. 22, and fans donated more than 1,500 toys and $5,000 in cash for in-need children around Pittsburgh.
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
A division of Trib Total Media is your one-stop-shop for all of your branded merchandise needs.
We specialize in providing quality affordable promotional products for every type of business including non-profits, schools, universities, sports teams and more. With 1000’s of products to choose from, our knowledgeable staff can help you find the perfect apparel item or product to suit your needs and budget.
Why use TPSolutions?
• Quality, brand name, screen printed and embroidered apparel
• Competitive prices
• Free design services
• Volume and non-profit discounts available
• Quick turn around
We offer a wide variety of traditional and new digital advertising options customized to fit your needs!
Whether you're just starting out, or you've been a keystone in the community for years, our knowledgeable staff can provide you with a customized package including online banners/advertisements, Social Media Marketing (Facebook / Twitter), Website development, Search Engine Optimization, Email Marketing solutions and much more!
Contact your local sales rep today for details, personalized proposal and a meeting to discuss how we can meet your needs.