Scouting the Sabres
Penguins vs. Sabres
7 p.m. today · HSBC Arena
TV/radio: Versus/WXDX (105.9 FM)
Last game: Defeated by Toronto Maple Leafs, 7-3, at Mellon Arena on Saturday.
Season series: Penguins trail series, 1-0-2. Last game: Sabres 4, Penguins 3 at Pittsburgh on Dec. 8.
About the Penguins (17-11-4, 38 pts): Regulation losers in five of seven games; outscored, 24-12, in those losses. ... Are 4-6-1 since blowing third-period lead in 4-3 loss at Buffalo on Nov. 28. ... Injuries: LW Pascal Dupuis (TBD, lower-body injury), C Mike Zigomanis (out, undisclosed injury), D Hal Gill (IR, left shoulder), RW Tyler Kennedy (IR, sprained knee), D Sergei Gonchar (IR, left shoulder), D Ryan Whitney (out, left foot).
Streak: Lost 1
Player to watch: RW Petr Sykora — Has scored 5 goals and 10 points in the last four games.
About the Sabres (16-13-4, 36 pts): Are 9-1-3 when leading after two periods. ... Have allowed 86 shots in past two games. ... Injuries: C Paul Gaustad (TBD, upper-body), LW Patrick Kaleta (TBD, head/neck), C Tim Connolly (out, ribs), D Craig Rivet (out, shoulder), LW Nathan Gerbe (out, upper-body injury).
Player to watch: C Derek Roy — 5 goals, 13 points during nine-game point streak.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Newcomers get 1st taste of rivalry with Flyers
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Penguins notebook: Johnston blends music, practice for local students
- Penguins equipment manager attends to multitude of details
- Rossi: Dupuis may be Penguins’ most important player
- Rossi: Johnston started strong before opener
- Power play continues to sizzle for Penguins in win over Leafs
- Penguins notebook: Hockey institution undergoes change
- Gaining access to Penguins co-owner Lemieux’s inner circle
- Beefed-up Islanders could pose threat to Penguins