Scouting the Sabres
Penguins vs. Sabres
7 p.m. today · HSBC Arena
TV/radio: Versus/WXDX (105.9 FM)
Last game: Defeated by Toronto Maple Leafs, 7-3, at Mellon Arena on Saturday.
Season series: Penguins trail series, 1-0-2. Last game: Sabres 4, Penguins 3 at Pittsburgh on Dec. 8.
About the Penguins (17-11-4, 38 pts): Regulation losers in five of seven games; outscored, 24-12, in those losses. ... Are 4-6-1 since blowing third-period lead in 4-3 loss at Buffalo on Nov. 28. ... Injuries: LW Pascal Dupuis (TBD, lower-body injury), C Mike Zigomanis (out, undisclosed injury), D Hal Gill (IR, left shoulder), RW Tyler Kennedy (IR, sprained knee), D Sergei Gonchar (IR, left shoulder), D Ryan Whitney (out, left foot).
Streak: Lost 1
Player to watch: RW Petr Sykora — Has scored 5 goals and 10 points in the last four games.
About the Sabres (16-13-4, 36 pts): Are 9-1-3 when leading after two periods. ... Have allowed 86 shots in past two games. ... Injuries: C Paul Gaustad (TBD, upper-body), LW Patrick Kaleta (TBD, head/neck), C Tim Connolly (out, ribs), D Craig Rivet (out, shoulder), LW Nathan Gerbe (out, upper-body injury).
Player to watch: C Derek Roy — 5 goals, 13 points during nine-game point streak.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins GM Rutherford: Malkin’s play belies fact he missed training camp
- Penguins notebook: After slow start, penalty kill on upswing
- Penguins’ Crosby OK with Neal comments about trade
- Penguins’ defenseman Maatta confident of full recovery
- Penguins assistant coach Tocchet wants Letang to shoot more on power play
- Predators GM Poile: Penguins’ firing of Shero not fair
- Fleury, Penguins too much for Kings
- Starkey: Hockey hypocrites, unite
- Penguins veteran defenseman Scuderi’s game looking up
- Penguins notebook: Team celebrates ‘Hockey Fights Cancer’ event
- Penguins assistant coach Tocchet marvels at Maatta’s demeanor