Pens get winger Bill Guerin from the Islanders
For the second straight season, the Penguins made a major deal in the final hours before the NHL trade deadline.
General manager Ray Shero acquired right wing Bill Guerin from the New York Islanders for a conditional pick. Guerin, 37, is in the final season of a $4.5 million deal. He had scored 16 goals and recorded 36 points in 61 games for the Isles.
The pick sent to the Islanders is a low-round pick. The pick is contingent on the Penguins reaching the playoffs and how far they advance in the postseason.
The Penguins, on a 6-1-1 surge since interim coach Dan Bylsma replaced Michel Therrien on Feb. 15, have not confirmed the trade.
The NHL trade deadline is at 3 p.m.
Earlier today, the Penguins claimed winger Craig Adams off waivers from Chicago.
Adams, 31, had scored two goals and recorded six points in 36 games with the Chicago Blackhawks.
The acquisitions of Guerin and Adams cast winger Miroslav Satan's future with the team in considerable doubt.
Satan, placed on waivers Tuesday by the Penguins as a procedure to allow for a possible trade today, cleared and remains property of the Penguins. Satan, 34, played at Tampa Bay last night. He signed a one-year deal worth $3.5 million in July; he can now be assigned to the AHL at no remaining cost against the salary cap.
Additionally, in a swap of minor-league defensemen the Penguins acquired Andy Wozniewski from St. Louis for Danny Richmond.
The Penguins were about $1.5 million under the $56.7 million cap prior to claiming Adams, who is in the final season of a three-year deal at an $600,000 annual salary.
Also, winger Bill Thomas, a Pittsburgh native, has been re-assigned to the AHL. He appeared in 11 games during this past stint with the Penguins.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-teammates say Kessel unfairly criticized
- Russian winger Plotnikov could join Penguins in August
- New Penguin Kessel’s shot is what makes him special
- Hurricanes owner rips Rutherford, Penguins
- Penguins’ Kessel ‘thrilled’ with chance to play with Crosby, Malkin
- Penguins get their man in making trade with Toronto for Kessel
- Penguins notebook: Rutherford proves savvy in deal
- Examining the draft trends of the last 3 Penguins GMs
- Defenseman Martin’s agent planning meeting with Penguins at draft
- Starkey: Rutherford hits jackpot with Kessel
- Penguins sign defensive prospect