Pens' Sykora on shelf with injnury
Right wing Petr Sykora did not dress Sunday for the Penguins. Sykora (upper-body injury) is day-to-day, and interim coach Dan Bylsma said he was "optimistic" Sykora could play Tuesday at home against Florida.
Right wing Pascal Dupuis replaced Sykora on a line with center Evgeni Malkin and left wing Ruslan Fedotenko. Malkin failed to record a point for the first time in 11 games.
• Defenseman Sergei Gonchar returned from a one-game absence and scored a power-play goal, his third in 10 games after missing 56 to start the season because of a left shoulder injury. Gonchar has scored twice this season at Washington, where he spent most of his first 10 seasons. Gonchar did not play Thursday at Florida because of the birth of his second daughter. "Everything is good," Gonchar said of the baby girl. "She's healthy."
• Defenseman Kris Letang assisted on two Penguins goals that followed the Capitals' first yesterday. That goal by Capitals left wing Alexander Semin, his 28th, was made possible by Letang's giveaway. His attempted pass from behind the Penguins' cage was intercepted by Washington center Nicklas Backstrom, who passed to Semin as he skated freely on Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury. Semin beat Fleury with a backhand to pull Washington even, 1-1.
"It wasn't a smart try," Letang said. "I thought I could hit a home-run pass to (Malkin). It was my mistake, but my coaches showed faith in me by putting me out there after I made it. They could have just kept me on the bench."
13 — Evgeni Malkin's road point streak, snapped yesterday
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Bennett a healthy scratch
- Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
- Penguins’ Ehrhoff being tested for concussion
- Stat dropoff, road struggles have Penguins seeking consistency
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in win at Verizon Center
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended 8 games for hit on Letang
- Penguins notebook: Johnston pleased with Downie’s all-around play
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?