Sykora a scoring option for Penguins
Nothing, nada, zero, a giant goose egg — any which way, the Penguins haven't gotten a goal from top-line wingers Bill Guerin and Chris Kunitz in the Stanley Cup Final. Still, coach Dan Bylsma insisted Monday after practice at Mellon Arena that his club can rally from a 3-2 deficit to Detroit in the best-of-seven series without Guerin or Kunitz scoring.
"Yes we can," he said. "We don't need them to score. We need our team to play well."
Actually, the Penguins need to do whatever they can tonight to win Game 6 at Mellon Arena. Otherwise, the Red Wings get the Cup, again.
Perhaps, then, Bylsma might consider reinserting into the lineup — somewhere — veteran right wing Petr Sykora, who has not played in 14 consecutive games dating to Game 2 of a second-round series against Washington.
Sykora, who netted 25 regular-season goals as a fixture on center Evgeni Malkin's line, scored in only 1-of-17 games prior to his removal from the lineup. Bylsma, however, said at the time that he was confident Sykora would again score a big goal for the Penguins in the postseason — like the one he tallied in triple overtime to win Game 5 of the Final last season.
That was Sykora's last playoff goal. Bylsma, his former teammate during days with Anaheim, said he has considered playing Sykora "every game from the time he hasn't played until now."
"We've certainly talked about different scenarios ... about what our team needs and what would help us win Game 6," he said. "And we're still talking about it."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Pouliot heading west with team
- Suggestions are aplenty on what Penguins need to break through
- Penguins minor league notebook: Rookie Wilson emerges as 3rd-line NHL prospect
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Penguins notebook: Malkin could return Wednesday at Edmonton
- Stat dropoff, road struggles have Penguins seeking consistency
- Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Penguins notebook: Crosby understands NHL’s reasoning for ban
- Penguins get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- Penguins notebook: Letang’s status vs. Jets uncertain