PLAYOFF INSIDER: Final no retreat for Pens' Crosby, Red Wings' Hossa
The Stanley Cup Final has proven no vacation for Penguins center Sidney Crosby and Red Wings winger Marian Hossa, two former teammates who coincidentally stayed at the same resort in the Bahamas last summer only days before Hossa signed with Detroit.
Crosby, a playoff MVP favorite entering the Final, has scored only one goal and recorded just three points in this series. Hossa hasn't scored and has recorded just three assists.
As linemates last season, Crosby and Hossa combined for five goals and 13 points in a six-game Final loss to the Red Wings.
Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said Wednesday that Hossa is not "pressing" against the Penguins. However, Babcock acknowledged that Hossa "hasn't been very good" at Mellon Arena.
Fortunately for Babcock and Hossa, a deciding Game 7 on Friday is at Joe Louis Arena - where Crosby has failed to post a point in five of six career playoff contests, including three in this Final.
Crosby remains the playoff leader with 15 goals, but he has not recorded a point in the past two games. He has never gone three games in one postseason without a point.
Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said he is not dissatisfied with Crosby's Final performance.
"He's not just out there to put his name on the score sheet," he said. "He's played the game the right way. He's paid attention to details."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Penguins not mortgaging future
- Penguins GM Rutherford not counting on Dupuis’ return
- Penguins acquire defensemen Lovejoy, Cole in deadline deals
- Rangers up ante in Metropolitan Division with trade acquisitions
- Penguins notebook: ‘Skill practice’ part of optional workout
- Under Rutherford, it’s been a sizeable shakeup for Penguins
- Penguins’ Kunitz makes a dream come true
- Power play shines in Penguins’ home victory over Blue Jackets
- Finding perfect pairing for Ehrhoff key for Penguins
- Penguins eye move for former center Staal
- Capitals’ duo more productive than Crosby, Malkin