Consol Energy Center will be topped off on Thursday
The final steel beam will be placed atop the Consol Energy Center on Thursday, one day shy of the first anniversary since construction crews broke ground on the new home of the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Executives from the Penguins and construction manager P.J. Dick/Hunt announced today that they plan to join city and county politicians at a "topping off" ceremony at the Uptown construction site.
The $355 million arena is slated to open in time for the 2010-11 hockey season. It will replace Mellon Arena, the National Hockey League's oldest venue.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Penguins need trade-deadline acquisitions to bring toughness
- Penguins notebook: Team exercising caution with Ehrhoff’s return from concussion
- Starkey: Penguins not mortgaging future
- Penguins acquire defensemen Lovejoy, Cole in deadline deals
- Penguins GM Rutherford not counting on Dupuis’ return
- Power play shines in Penguins’ home victory over Blue Jackets
- Rangers up ante in Metropolitan Division with trade acquisitions
- Finding perfect pairing for Ehrhoff key for Penguins
- Baby Penguins notebook: Goalie Murray on historic run of success
- Penguins eye move for former center Staal
- Crosby fights, Penguins lose to Blue Jackets