Penguins make roster cuts
• The Penguins sent 10 players to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Wednesday: Forwards Aaron Boogaard, Zack Sill, Joey Haddad, Casey Pierro-Zabotel, Nick Petersen and Keven Veilleux; defensemen Lane Caffaro, Brian Strait and Alex Grant and goalie Jordan Parise. Forward Nathan Moon was reassigned to the Ontario Hockey League, and defenseman Jamie Hunt was released.
• The Penguins will fly to Wilkes-Barre today in preparation for tonight's intra-squad scrimmage at Wachovia Arena. All players in Penguins camp are expected to participate in the scrimmage, which sold out in a matter of days. Pittsburgh will practice at 10 a.m. Friday at Mellon Arena before hosting Toronto at 7:30 that evening. The Penguins have Saturday off.
â€¢• Center Sidney Crosby played the first exhibition game of his career in Wilkes-Barre four years ago against the Boston Bruins and said he is looking forward to visiting the hockey-crazed city.
• Coach Dan Blysma left for Wilkes-Barre yesterday so that he could attend a special function being held in his honor. The Baby Penguins' head coach before being promoted last February, Bylsma remains popular in Wilkes-Barre and was flanked by the Stanley Cup while being honored by friends and members of the Baby Penguins organization last night.
• About 1,000 fans watched yesterday's practice at Mellon Arena. The team practiced in three groups and, unlike the past three days, no scrimmages were held.
• Scott McConnell has been named the Wilkes-Barre video coach. The grandson of former Penguins coach Bob Johnson, McConnell played hockey at the University of Denver.
• The Penguins have taken the NFL's lead with one of their helpers during camp. Football teams often invite players and coaches from other leagues to participate in training camp, and the Penguins have done the same thing as Michigan associate coach Mel Pearson has been at Mellon Arena all week.
• The Penguins must cut 20 more players by Sept. 30.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- For Penguins coach Johnston, it’s a matter of substance over style
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in win at Verizon Center
- Penguins notebook: Johnston pleased with Downie’s all-around play
- Penguins get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Penguins notebook: Crosby understands NHL’s reasoning for ban
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Letang produces 5 assists in return as Penguins defeat Jets, 5-3
- Fleury’s All-Star play has coincided with joy of being a father