Penguins get break after back-to-back games
After opening the regular season with games on consecutive nights, the Penguins did not practice Sunday. They will return to practice today at Mellon Arena.
They do not play again until facing Phoenix at home Wednesday, when the schedule picks up with five games in eight nights. The stretch includes four consecutive road games, starting Thursday in Philadelphia.
• Penguins captain Sidney Crosby became the sixth fastest player to record 400 points with a goal and an assist Saturday at the New York Islanders. That topic won't be on the docket tonight, but Crosby will touch on his fourth NHL season in an FSN Pittsburgh special "Sidney Crosby: In My Own Words, Season 4." The program airs at 6:30 p.m.
• Penguins co-owner Mario Lemieux celebrates his 44th birthday today. By the way: Crosby, who has averaged 1.37 points per game in his career, would need to maintain that rate for his next 966 games before matching Lemieux's franchise record of 1,723 points.
• Alex Goligoski is getting his wish. A diehard fan of the Minnesota Twins, the defenseman was cautiously optimistic his preferred ball club could force a one-game playoff for the American League Central Division title despite dropping two of three to start a four-game series against the Detroit Tigers last week. The Twins and Tigers will play a one-game playoff Tuesday at Minnesota.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fleury’s relay team struggles in NHL skills competition
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- Fleury’s All-Star play has coincided with joy of being a father
- Penguins’ Crosby receives injection for lower-body injury
- Injured Crosby, Malkin to miss NHL All-Star Game
- Penguins limp into All-Star break, welcome chance to recuperate
- Letang, Malkin miss game versus Blackhawks
- Rossi: Just showing up won’t work for Penguins
- Penguins’ Bennett has struggled with injuries but proven dynamic when healthy
- Penguins recall left wing Farnham from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton
- Penguins notebook: Perron continues to show scoring prowess