Pens coach Bylsma presents some new lines
Former Penguins coach Michel Therrien was frequently criticized for his insistence on constantly making line changes. Dan Bylsma doesn't make line changes as often, but he isn't afraid to shuffle his forwards.
The Penguins showcased some new lines against Ottawa, and the coach's reasons for the decision are varied.
"It's more than a gut (feeling)," Bylsma said. "There may be players who need to get more playing time."
Bylsma's decision to tinker with lines before the game is a bit of a change from his occasional altering during action. Evgeni Malkin played between Bill Guerin and Chris Kunitz much of the night, while Crosby centered Ruslan Fedotenko and Pascal Dupuis, who often flank Malkin.
» Legendary Russian goalie Vladislav Tretiak, who was famously pulled after the first period in the "Miracle on Ice" in the 1980 Olympics, made a rare appearance at Mellon Arena on Wednesday. He is the general manager of the Russian Olympic team and was in town to speak with Malkin and Sergei Gonchar about the upcoming tournament.
» The Ottawa Senators peppered Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury with 24 shots in the first period, which is one shy of the all-time mark against the Penguins at home. Vancouver registered 25 shots on net in one period at Mellon Arena in 1989.
» Malkin's first-period power play goal was his first with the man advantage in 15 games.
» Mark Eaton was again held out of the Penguins lineup with a knee injury. It is believed he will miss around a week of action.
» Eric Godard was the Penguins' only healthy scratch.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins GM prepares for emotional series against Carolina
- Penguins notebook: Winning home games crucial for Penguins
- Penguins notebook: Bennett to miss about 2 weeks
- Ehrhoff finding his way with Penguins
- Penguins’ Scuderi, Despres an odd couple on defense
- Penguins notebook: Bennett status remains fluid
- Mears savors success, credits legendary Lange for guidance, inspiration
- Penguins minor league notebook: Pouliot impresses early in season
- Penguins notebook: Johnston calls Quinn ‘phenomenal’ coach, person
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches 800 career points
- Penguins notebook: Dupuis’ absence will alter roles on penalty kill