Scouting the Sabres
Penguins at Sabres
7 p.m. -- HSBC ARENA
(FSN Pittsburgh/WXDX-FM 105.9 and the Penguins Radio Network)
Season series : second meeting. The Penguins lead, 1-0-0. A 2-1 shootout win at Buffalo on Dec. 19 was notable for goalie Marc-Andre Fleury's 31 saves and the loss of defenseman Mark Eaton to a lower-body injury.
Streak : Pens lost 1
Who to watch
Goalie Brent Johnson, who may make his first start since Dec. 12; coach Dan Bylsma was noncommittal Monday about which goalie would be between the pipes.
Trends n 'at
The Penguins will begin a stretch of playing nine games in 11 on the road. ... The Sabres rate fourth in the NHL and second in the Eastern Conference at 2.24 goals-allowed per game. ... The past four games between these teams have been decided by one goal.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Penguins’ Maatta tests positive for mumps; Bortuzzo, Greiss negative
- Fleury’s career-best 6th shutout lifts Penguins over Avalanche in overtime
- Penguins star Crosby talks about his experience with mumps
- Penguins defenseman Letang having best season in new system
- Penguins notebook: Zatkoff returns to team as Fleury’s backup
- Penguins continue to thrive, despite spate of ailments
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz tests foot by skating during practice
- Penguins’ Maatta to seek second opinion for shoulder
- With 3 more players possibly affected, Pens’ mumps fight escalates
- Penguins player might have exposed Children’s Hospital patients to mumps
- Penguins notebook: Johnston stands by decision on Crosby