Scouting the Sabres
Sabres at Penguins
7 p.m., Mellon Arena
TV/Radio: VERSUS/WXDX-FM (105.9) and the Penguins Radio Network
Season series : Tied, 1-1. The Penguins and Sabres met twice in a 10-day span in Buffalo, splitting the meetings. Buffalo roared back to beat the Penguins, 4-3, on Dec. 29 after the Penguins had raced to a 3-0 lead.
Penguins' streak : Won 1
Who to watch : Ryan Miller. The Buffalo goaltender hasn't always enjoyed great success against the Penguins, and was yanked from the Dec. 29 meeting after allowing three goals. Still, he has been one of the NHL's best goaltenders this season and will likely start for Team USA in the Olympics later this month.
Trends n 'at : The Penguins are 3-0-1 in games that have included C Mark Letestu, who was recalled from Wilkes-Barre before Sunday's game against Detroit. ... The Penguins are 5-4 this season in the second game in back-to-back situations. ...This will be the first of three times this season that the Penguins play on consecutive days at home. ... Following the Buffalo game, the Penguins have four straight days off, which is their longest break of the season, not including the Olympics.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Crosby, Malkin chase scoring title amid defense-minded league
- Penguins notebook: Crosby says he would play goal if needed
- Penguins forwards struggle in loss to Avalanche
- Baby Penguins notebook: Goalie Murray on historic run of success
- Penguins need trade-deadline acquisitions to bring toughness
- Crosby fights, Penguins lose to Blue Jackets
- Under Rutherford, it’s been a sizeable shakeup for Penguins
- Starkey: Penguins not mortgaging future