Scouting the Sabres
Sabres at Penguins
7 p.m., Mellon Arena
TV/Radio: VERSUS/WXDX-FM (105.9) and the Penguins Radio Network
Season series : Tied, 1-1. The Penguins and Sabres met twice in a 10-day span in Buffalo, splitting the meetings. Buffalo roared back to beat the Penguins, 4-3, on Dec. 29 after the Penguins had raced to a 3-0 lead.
Penguins' streak : Won 1
Who to watch : Ryan Miller. The Buffalo goaltender hasn't always enjoyed great success against the Penguins, and was yanked from the Dec. 29 meeting after allowing three goals. Still, he has been one of the NHL's best goaltenders this season and will likely start for Team USA in the Olympics later this month.
Trends n 'at : The Penguins are 3-0-1 in games that have included C Mark Letestu, who was recalled from Wilkes-Barre before Sunday's game against Detroit. ... The Penguins are 5-4 this season in the second game in back-to-back situations. ...This will be the first of three times this season that the Penguins play on consecutive days at home. ... Following the Buffalo game, the Penguins have four straight days off, which is their longest break of the season, not including the Olympics.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- Four helicopters respond to Route 51 crash in Rostraver
- Miami (Fla.) gets prepared to take on ‘physical’ Pitt team
- Steelers plan to use smart pass rush against Seattle QB Wilson
- Penguins 4th line is showing promise
- School lunch group hopes to revise rules it calls impractical, too restrictive
- Western Pa. students bristle at changing menu choices
- Century Inn owner hopes to reopen Washington County landmark, gutted by fire, by end of next year
- Carrick crime ‘blitz’ shows early signs of success
- Small stores take big gamble by not upgrading credit card readers
- Mon City man arrested for alleged assault