Scouting the Sabres
Sabres at Penguins
7 p.m., Mellon Arena
TV/Radio: VERSUS/WXDX-FM (105.9) and the Penguins Radio Network
Season series : Tied, 1-1. The Penguins and Sabres met twice in a 10-day span in Buffalo, splitting the meetings. Buffalo roared back to beat the Penguins, 4-3, on Dec. 29 after the Penguins had raced to a 3-0 lead.
Penguins' streak : Won 1
Who to watch : Ryan Miller. The Buffalo goaltender hasn't always enjoyed great success against the Penguins, and was yanked from the Dec. 29 meeting after allowing three goals. Still, he has been one of the NHL's best goaltenders this season and will likely start for Team USA in the Olympics later this month.
Trends n 'at : The Penguins are 3-0-1 in games that have included C Mark Letestu, who was recalled from Wilkes-Barre before Sunday's game against Detroit. ... The Penguins are 5-4 this season in the second game in back-to-back situations. ...This will be the first of three times this season that the Penguins play on consecutive days at home. ... Following the Buffalo game, the Penguins have four straight days off, which is their longest break of the season, not including the Olympics.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz ‘really close’ to return
- Fleury’s career-best 6th shutout lifts Penguins over Avalanche in overtime
- Penguins notebook: Zatkoff returns to team as Fleury’s backup
- ‘Rash of sickness’ hits Crosby, Penguins
- Penguins defenseman Letang having best season in new system
- Penguins continue to thrive, despite spate of ailments
- With 3 more players possibly affected, Pens’ mumps fight escalates
- Penguins star Crosby talks about his experience with mumps
- Penguins taking mumps precautions; forward Bennett may have virus
- Penguins’ Maatta to seek second opinion for shoulder
- Penguins player might have exposed Children’s Hospital patients to mumps