Penguins to play three preseason games in Consol Energy Center
The Pittsburgh Penguins' first game in the new Consol Energy Center will be a Sept. 22 exhibition game against the Detroit Red Wings.
The Penguins regularly play two home preseason games but, because of the new arena, they added a third game this season. The other home games will be Sept. 25 against Columbus and Sept. 28 against Stanley Cup champion Chicago.
Road exhibition games will be Sept. 24 at Columbus, Oct. 1 at Chicago and Oct. 3 at Detroit.
The NHL regular season schedule is expected to be announced next week.
New starting time for home games
The Penguins also announced that they are joining the rest of the NHL Atlantic Division by moving the starting times of their home night games to 7 p.m. Eastern.
Previously, the Penguins were the only team in the five-team division that started its games at 7:30 p.m.
The club cited fan feedback as one reason for the shift.
While the starting times at Mellon Arena were listed at 7:30 p.m., games started at 7:38 p.m. to accommodate TV. The actual starting time under the new format is expected to be 7:08 p.m.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins’ Crosby OK with Neal comments about trade
- Predators GM Poile: Penguins’ firing of Shero not fair
- Penguins rebound with shutout of Predators
- Penguins notebook: Carcillo has no hard feelings after failing to make roster
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins
- Penguins look to buck shots, goals trend
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Penguins notebook: Newcomers get 1st taste of rivalry with Flyers
- Penguins notebook: Malkin returns to center