Martin says Devils' record against Pens a coincidence
• The Penguins were unable to claim the Atlantic Division last year almost exclusively because they couldn't beat the New Jersey Devils. A source from the other side of last season's trouble with New Jersey says the Penguins shouldn't be concerned. Paul Martin, who signed a contract with the Penguins this summer after spending his entire career in Newark, said the Devils' 6-0 record was "coincidence" more than anything. He did acknowledge, however, that by the end of the regular season - when the Penguins lost twice in New Jersey in a six-day span - it was starting to become evident that the Devils had earned a psychological advantage over the Penguins. The teams meet for the first time Oct. 11 in Newark, which will be the Penguins' first road game.
• Many of the Penguins have expressed disappointment with the ice surface at Consol Energy Center, but there aren't any problems with their practice ice. Captain Sidney Crosby called the Iceoplex ice surface "great." Of course, the Southpointe rink doesn't double as a concert site and is kept extremely cold. "Hopefully the new ice will get better," Crosby said.
• Center Ryan Craig remains out with a lower body injury and likely won't play tonight against the Chicago Blackhawks. The rest of the team appears healthy entering tonight's game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Downie, Farnham bringing a much-needed edge to the Penguins
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Minor league report: Other prospects on Penguins’ radar
- Penguins notebook: Memorable night for Pouliot, Trocheck
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz ‘really close’ to return
- Penguins star Crosby talks about his experience with mumps
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- With 3 more players possibly affected, Pens’ mumps fight escalates
- Penguins notebook: Zatkoff returns to team as Fleury’s backup
- Penguins continue to thrive, despite spate of ailments
- Penguins defenseman Letang having best season in new system