Malkin leaves Penguins' practice with undisclosed injury
• Center Evgeni Malkin did not finish practice with Penguins teammates Monday. He left the ice at Southpointe Iceoplex before the session wrapped. Coach Dan Bylsma said Malkin, who has played in all but one game, experienced discomfort on a previously undisclosed injury. "It's always better to take the opportunity to rest it," he said. Malkin scored his fourth goal in a win Saturday at Phoenix. That marker snapped a five-game drought.
• Goalie Brent Johnson didn't practice because of illness, leaving the Penguins shorthanded at that position. To the rescue came Jim Britt, the club's video coordinator. Britt also filled in during several practices last season. Keeping with his tradition, he jokingly declined comment after the session.
• Forward Max Talbot's new charitable foundation received an assist from his teammates after practice. Players painted pairs of white shoes that will be auctioned Nov. 18, with proceeds going toward the construction of an orphanage in Haiti. Talbot and forward Mike Rupp visited Haiti during the offseason along with team chaplain Brad Henderson and former Pirates first baseman Sean Casey. The foursome is trying to help raise funds to complete a second facility that would provide shelter to 100 orphans. The facility currently lacks a roof.
• Players will participate in the Salvation Army's "Project Bundle-Up" program today. They will be matched with a local middle school student to shop for new winter clothing -- including coats, hats, gloves and boots. The shopping will take place at Dick's Sporting Goods at The Mall at Robinson.
• Co-owner Mario Lemieux watched a portion of practice. Earlier in the day his charitable foundation announced plans for an Austin's Playroom at the new Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Md. An online auction at www.mariolemieux.org will provide funding. The featured items are the Mellon Arena dressing room stalls that belonged to Lemieux and center Sidney Crosby.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers veteran linebacker Harrison focused on stretch run
- Penguins co-owner Lemieux snuffs rumored rift with Crosby
- Friends, family, history lure natives back to Western Pennsylvania
- Crosby scores twice, Malkin delivers OT goal as Penguins beat Blues
- Starkey: Artie Rowell’s incredible odyssey
- Intruder in Carrick makes off with cash, weapon
- Excela, Pitt-Greensburg team on legacy videos for those in twilight of lives
- Emotional send-off awaits Pitt seniors
- Annual Holiday Parade to celebrate all things Pittsburgh
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin ends practice with third-down work
- 1 dead, 1 injured after crash in North Point Breeze