Boudreau gets earful from mom about HBO language
WASHINGTON — Washington Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau was caught cursing up a storm by HBO's cameras - just like New York Jets coach Rex Ryan was.
And Boudreau was suitably chastised by his mom - just like Ryan was.
"My mom already called me about how many (swear words) I used," Boudreau said Thursday.
The first episode of the reality series, "24/7: Penguins-Capitals, Road to the NHL Winter Classic" aired Wednesday night. It's a behind-the-scenes look at the two teams as they approach their outdoor game Jan. 1 in Pittsburgh.
The Capitals are currently in a seven-game losing streak, and Wednesday's show included footage of Boudreau colorfully yelling at his players on the bench during a timeout and in the locker room. During one particular speech between periods, Boudreau used a particular curse word 15 times in the span of a minute.
"It was a passionate speech. It wasn't anything that I'm sitting there and manufacturing up the word, just to say the word," he said Thursday. "When you're talking with passion, sometimes I don't know what's coming out of my mouth, quite frankly."
Ryan drew attention during training camp for his use of certain words while the Jets were being filmed for HBO's "Hard Knocks."
Ryan said Thursday that he watched a few minutes of the hockey series' debut.
"I was offended," Ryan said with a big smile. "I was definitely offended by that language."
Added Ryan: "Hopefully people can look at him and get all over him instead of me now."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Bennett to miss about 2 weeks
- Penguins’ Scuderi, Despres an odd couple on defense
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches career points
- Ehrhoff finding his way with Penguins
- Mears savors success, credits legendary Lange for guidance, inspiration
- Penguins notebook: Johnston calls Quinn ‘phenomenal’ coach, person
- Penguins notebook: Bennett status remains fluid
- Penguins notebook: Penguins getting fewer power-play opportunities
- Finding balance between toughness, excessiveness key for Penguins’ Downie
- Rossi: For Penguins’ Dupuis, family must come first
- Penguins minor league notebook: Pouliot impresses early in season