Boudreau gets earful from mom about HBO language
WASHINGTON — Washington Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau was caught cursing up a storm by HBO's cameras - just like New York Jets coach Rex Ryan was.
And Boudreau was suitably chastised by his mom - just like Ryan was.
"My mom already called me about how many (swear words) I used," Boudreau said Thursday.
The first episode of the reality series, "24/7: Penguins-Capitals, Road to the NHL Winter Classic" aired Wednesday night. It's a behind-the-scenes look at the two teams as they approach their outdoor game Jan. 1 in Pittsburgh.
The Capitals are currently in a seven-game losing streak, and Wednesday's show included footage of Boudreau colorfully yelling at his players on the bench during a timeout and in the locker room. During one particular speech between periods, Boudreau used a particular curse word 15 times in the span of a minute.
"It was a passionate speech. It wasn't anything that I'm sitting there and manufacturing up the word, just to say the word," he said Thursday. "When you're talking with passion, sometimes I don't know what's coming out of my mouth, quite frankly."
Ryan drew attention during training camp for his use of certain words while the Jets were being filmed for HBO's "Hard Knocks."
Ryan said Thursday that he watched a few minutes of the hockey series' debut.
"I was offended," Ryan said with a big smile. "I was definitely offended by that language."
Added Ryan: "Hopefully people can look at him and get all over him instead of me now."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Downie, Farnham bringing a much-needed edge to the Penguins
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Penguins notebook: Players back team doctors in mumps aftermath
- Penguins notebook: Memorable night for Pouliot, Trocheck
- Minor league report: Other prospects on Penguins’ radar
- Penguins continue to thrive, despite spate of ailments
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- With 3 more players possibly affected, Pens’ mumps fight escalates
- Mumps confirmed for Penguins’ Bennett; team intern also affected
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz tests foot by skating during practice
- Penguins star Crosby talks about his experience with mumps