Crosby will miss fourth consecutive game tonight
• Life without Sidney Crosby hasn't been kind to the Penguins, and it will continue for at least another game.
Crosby, who continues to deal with post-concussion symptoms, did not practice Tuesday at Consol Energy Center and will not play tonight in Montreal. The Penguins have managed three goals in three games without Crosby, going 0-2-1 in those contests.
Coach Dan Bylsma made it clear that Crosby won't be rushed back into the lineup.
"I know how Sidney did yesterday, but I haven't seen him today, so I don't know," Bylsma said.
Crosby, who leads the NHL in scoring with 66 points, has not skated since registering an assist in an 8-1 victory over Tampa Bay on Jan. 5. He did not play the next day in Montreal, at which time Bylsma said Crosby was expected to miss approximately a week.
"He will not be participating until he is symptom-free," Bylsma said. "And at that time, he will be tested again."
• Right wing Eric Godard hasn't played since receiving a facial injury in a fight against Matt Carkner Dec. 26 in Ottawa. Bylsma did not indicate when Godard might return to the lineup. "I'm not real qualified to tell you exactly what's wrong," Bylsma said. "He had an eye injury, and he has resumed activity now."
• Center Jordan Staal remained on a line with LW Matt Cooke and RW Tyler Kennedy in practice, and Malkin played with Crosby's usual linemates, LW Chris Kuntiz and RW Pascal Dupuis.
• Right wing Arron Asham returned to practice after missing Monday's game against Boston with an illness. He should be available tonight in Montreal.
• Two of Staal's brothers, Hurricanes C Eric Staal and Rangers D Marc Staal, were selected to the NHL All-Star Game in Raleigh.Additional Information:
7:30 p.m. today, Bell Centre
(FSN; WXDX-FM, 105.9, Penguins Radio Network)
Season series: The Penguins are 0-1-1 against the Canadiens this season, dropping a shootout in Montreal last week. The Penguins have lost three straight games • and four out of five • in Montreal.
Streak: Lost 3
Who to watch: Evgeni Malkin has a long history of playing well with Sidney Crosby out of the lineup, but in the three games Crosby has missed following a concussion, Malkin has produced one point.
Trends 'N at: The Penguins are 5-6-2 following their 12-game winning streak. ... The Penguins have allowed multiple power-play goals in a game twice this season. .. .The Penguins have lost five of their past six games and, in those five losses, have scored a total of five goals. ... Since his five-point night against Phoenix Dec. 20, Malkin has produced five points in 10 games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Penguins GM prepares for emotional series against Carolina
- Penguins notebook: Winning home games crucial for Penguins
- Penguins notebook: Bennett to miss about 2 weeks
- Ehrhoff finding his way with Penguins
- Penguins notebook: Bennett status remains fluid
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches 800 career points
- Penguins’ Scuderi, Despres an odd couple on defense
- Penguins notebook: Dupuis’ absence will alter roles on penalty kill
- Penguins notebook: Penguins getting fewer power-play opportunities
- Penguins minor league notebook: Pouliot impresses early in season
- Mears savors success, credits legendary Lange for guidance, inspiration