Crosby will miss fourth consecutive game tonight
• Life without Sidney Crosby hasn't been kind to the Penguins, and it will continue for at least another game.
Crosby, who continues to deal with post-concussion symptoms, did not practice Tuesday at Consol Energy Center and will not play tonight in Montreal. The Penguins have managed three goals in three games without Crosby, going 0-2-1 in those contests.
Coach Dan Bylsma made it clear that Crosby won't be rushed back into the lineup.
"I know how Sidney did yesterday, but I haven't seen him today, so I don't know," Bylsma said.
Crosby, who leads the NHL in scoring with 66 points, has not skated since registering an assist in an 8-1 victory over Tampa Bay on Jan. 5. He did not play the next day in Montreal, at which time Bylsma said Crosby was expected to miss approximately a week.
"He will not be participating until he is symptom-free," Bylsma said. "And at that time, he will be tested again."
• Right wing Eric Godard hasn't played since receiving a facial injury in a fight against Matt Carkner Dec. 26 in Ottawa. Bylsma did not indicate when Godard might return to the lineup. "I'm not real qualified to tell you exactly what's wrong," Bylsma said. "He had an eye injury, and he has resumed activity now."
• Center Jordan Staal remained on a line with LW Matt Cooke and RW Tyler Kennedy in practice, and Malkin played with Crosby's usual linemates, LW Chris Kuntiz and RW Pascal Dupuis.
• Right wing Arron Asham returned to practice after missing Monday's game against Boston with an illness. He should be available tonight in Montreal.
• Two of Staal's brothers, Hurricanes C Eric Staal and Rangers D Marc Staal, were selected to the NHL All-Star Game in Raleigh.Additional Information:
7:30 p.m. today, Bell Centre
(FSN; WXDX-FM, 105.9, Penguins Radio Network)
Season series: The Penguins are 0-1-1 against the Canadiens this season, dropping a shootout in Montreal last week. The Penguins have lost three straight games • and four out of five • in Montreal.
Streak: Lost 3
Who to watch: Evgeni Malkin has a long history of playing well with Sidney Crosby out of the lineup, but in the three games Crosby has missed following a concussion, Malkin has produced one point.
Trends 'N at: The Penguins are 5-6-2 following their 12-game winning streak. ... The Penguins have allowed multiple power-play goals in a game twice this season. .. .The Penguins have lost five of their past six games and, in those five losses, have scored a total of five goals. ... Since his five-point night against Phoenix Dec. 20, Malkin has produced five points in 10 games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Four helicopters respond to Route 51 crash in Rostraver
- Steelers plan to use smart pass rush against Seattle QB Wilson
- Small stores take big gamble by not upgrading credit card readers
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- Penguins 4th line showing promise
- Phipps winter show glows with holiday warmth
- LB Kwiatkoski sentimental about WVU traditions entering final home game
- Despite injuries, Penn State’s Nelson ‘thankful’
- Plan ahead to force yourself — and bulbs — out of winter doldrums
- Yahoo investors losing patience with ‘star’ CEO Marissa Mayer
- Gorman: Penn-Trafford’s Topper not defined by ‘the miss’