Bylsma puts end to daily updates on Crosby's condition
• Coach Dan Bylsma, who had said Sidney Crosby (mild concussion) would undergo additional tests this week, said Thursday he will not answer any more questions about the condition of his star center. "We are not going to give daily updates on Sidney Crosby," Bylsma said. "He needs to be symptom-free to move forward." Asked whether Crosby has had the tests, Bylsma repeated, "There will not be any daily updates on Sidney Crosby." Crosby has missed four consecutive games since he was checked from behind into the boards Jan. 5 at Consol Energy Center by Tampa Bay defenseman Victor Hedman.
• Right wing Eric Godard (eye) skated and shot pucks before the Penguins' optional practice at Southpointe, but he is not close to returning, Bylsma said. "He still has to do light workouts on his own for some time," he said. "He got out on the ice a little bit, but it is still very, very small doses." Godard hasn't played since Dec. 26.
• Goalie Marc-Andre Fleury attempted to downplay his dramatics of Wednesday night, when he stood triumphantly in the crease with his arms folded after the Penguins' 5-2 victory in Montreal. Fleury mimicked Canadiens goalie Carey Price, who did the same thing Jan. 6 after his team's 2-1 shootout victory against the Penguins. "The puck was at the other end," Fleury said. "I didn't think the camera would be on me, too. It was for (my teammates). I goof around a lot. Maybe not like that, I guess."
• Eight players skated at practice, but most of the time was spent on video work of future opponents. "We had a couple guys sick, a couple guys banged up," Bylsma said. "They needed some time off the ice."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Zatkoff returns to team as Fleury’s backup
- Penguins star Crosby talks about his experience with mumps
- Fleury’s career-best 6th shutout lifts Penguins over Avalanche in overtime
- Penguins defenseman Letang having best season in new system
- Penguins continue to thrive, despite spate of ailments
- With 3 more players possibly affected, Pens’ mumps fight escalates
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz tests foot by skating during practice
- ‘Rash of sickness’ hits Crosby, Penguins
- Penguins’ Maatta to seek second opinion for shoulder
- Penguins taking mumps precautions; forward Bennett may have virus
- Mumps confirmed for Penguins’ Bennett; team intern also affected